• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Problem with Mandrel?

Princejimuk

Apprentice Member
First Name
James
Just started pen turnung and have made 8 pens, come to make my 10th and the wood is turning on my mandrel when I start to work? And yes I have made tight.

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
Are the blanks fully trimmed to the length of the tube? If not that could cause the problem.
If the problem persists try turning between centres with some TBC bushes fro Taylors Mirfield.
Mike

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
What glue do you use, I guess it's some sort of Superglue

Did you forget to rough the whole brass tube before gluing

A couple of things to watch out for.

If the tube is a snug fit in the blank and you use epoxy the glue may get pushed out when pushing the tube in resulting in a weak bond. If the tube is a snug fit use superglue.

If the tube is a loose fit and you use superglue it will not fill the gap between the tube and the hole, resulting in a weak bond. If the tube is a loose fit use an epoxy.

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Thanks Guys wood came away from tube.
James, the important thing, no matter which glue is used, is to give it sufficient curing time.
If using CA glue, I would think that you would need a couple of hours at least before turning, though some would leave a lot longer.
I only use 2-part epoxy to glue in tubes and allow at least overnight to cure.
Alan

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).