• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Question: Unique pen design - is this even possible?

RobR

First Name
Robert
I have a friend who has asked me to make him a pen with a very specific requirement. He's a graphic artist, and currently uses a pencil like this.

tracer pic.JPG
The reason is that he can hold the pencil and see exactly where the pencil lead is on the page without his hand covering it up. His technique, and I'm not going to query it!

He wants me to make him a pen similar to that. Obviously(?) would need to be kitless, and I'm sure there will be massive challenges for what is a one off. Does this even look remotely doable? The elongated part would obviously have a minimum diameter, but I guess the key point is where the pen is held, and making the section as long / this as possible. Was thinking of maybe using a Beaufort section sleeve ( https://www.beaufortink.co.uk/kitle...n-sleeves-and-thread-sleeves-for-kitless-pens ). Haven't even thought about how a cap would work!

Thoughts?

Edit: I'm aware that Tracer do a pen version, but he wants a fountain pen with a variety of nibs.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
The Beaufort Mistral was designed by Phil and is the thinnest practical fountain pen on the market....that has a body thickness way larger than the Tracer...
If its got to be a fountain, then the thickness of the feed and the nib width will be your deciding factors, you may be able to make a thin ink bladder but it's still not going to be "that" thin...
Have you thought about real ink in a rollerball conversion??

RobR

First Name
Robert
The Beaufort Mistral was designed by Phil and is the thinnest practical fountain pen on the market....that has a body thickness way larger than the Tracer...
If its got to be a fountain, then the thickness of the feed and the nib width will be your deciding factors, you may be able to make a thin ink bladder but it's still not going to be "that" thin...
Have you thought about real ink in a rollerball conversion??
Thanks Flexi. I have a Mistral kit here (lovely kit). Not sure that will work in this instance.

Tell me more about the rollerball conversion?

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
Regular fountain pen nib units aren't really designed to be super slim - the closest thing I've seen to this shape is a Pilot Vanishing Point replacement nib. (Example link.)

Building a pen around it would be a challenge (and not cheap!)

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
As others have said you’re options are going to be limited a little by the diameter, plus wall thickness, needed to house the nib housing and the filling mechanism (unless you go for an eye dropper).
If your friend likes the idea of a fountain pen, with various nib options, but also wants a long slim area to aid visibility of the nib, then a dip-pen might be the answer. Of course you do lose the practicality of a filling system, but it does tick the other boxes as you can make the section before the nib as long and slim as you like within reason. And there is no need for a cap.

Cheers
Ash

RobR

First Name
Robert
As others have said you’re options are going to be limited a little by the diameter, plus wall thickness, needed to house the nib housing and the filling mechanism (unless you go for an eye dropper).
If your friend likes the idea of a fountain pen, with various nib options, but also wants a long slim area to aid visibility of the nib, then a dip-pen might be the answer. Of course you do lose the practicality of a filling system, but it does tick the other boxes as you can make the section before the nib as long and slim as you like within reason. And there is no need for a cap.

Cheers
Ash
Sounds like a possibility. Thanks Ash