• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Record power livestream

Pauls

First Name
Paul
Did anyone watch the livestream on Thursday on how to make a Celtic knot. Unfortunately when it came to turning a piece came out of the segment. Anyone got a tip on glueing up segments other than CA glue.

Attachments

• FCD4A996-6AAF-49A1-BC89-1ABA7166D7F3.jpeg
    FCD4A996-6AAF-49A1-BC89-1ABA7166D7F3.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 9

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I didnt see the video but a piece should not come out of a Celtic knot if the infill pieces ( timber ) are the right size, if they are slack in the kerf then CA won't hold them.
Did his infill part have aluminium?
There is no problem using CA to hold correctly sized infill pieces, though I would not use it for glueing the tube into the blank.

You can use carpenter's glue or epoxy if the segment pieces are timber but the glue up time will be a lot longer than using CA.

Pauls

First Name
Paul
I think he was using cut Dibond sheet and a cherry pen blank. He used thick CA on the wood and activator on the Dibond then pressed together and filled any gaps with thin CA.

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Two issues then....
CA and aluminium is not a strong bond and
there should not be any gaps.

There are a lot of videos about showing how to do a celtic knot and a lot of them are useless.

silverfox58

First Name
Terry
Hi all I used aluminium on a Celtic knot pen but the first one came apart while drilling out for the tube next blank I used polyurethane glue but made sure the aluminium surface was rough so the glue had a stronger surface to bond to hope this helps

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Felt sorry for them when it went wrong, having the confidence to make a livestream then that happens.

There is no easy way to do segmenting however there are simpler methods to start off with to get your confidence up.

Search you tube for making serpent segmented pen blanks, some simple but effective ways to segment.

The more complex setups need experience and the right method of carrying it out, then turning it with the right tools as well. Quite a few recommend the round tipped Carbode tipped tools, that is only taking a small cut at the point of contact. Skew is the other one many prefer as well, but doesn’t cope well with aluminium.

Let’s hope that do a few more livestreams and not give up because one has gone wrong, something in life that everyone remembers you for is the things you did/got wrong and not the things that go right 80% of the time.