• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Saying hi, not quite pen turning

NIGBEE

Apprentice Member
First Name
Nigel Bache
Hi all, not a pen turner but am using a lot of the YouTube pen turning video to learn haw to make small decorative tool handles, trying to make them as nice as possible. Thought this would be the best place to come for advice and inspiration.

These are some of what I have managed to make with a cheap Chinese mini lathe which is better than no lathe but not brilliant.

Will put some pictures on when I have worked out how

I will look around and then ask some questions when more familiar with the site

Thanks

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Size only matters if you let it all principles in turning apply, all timbers can be used and finished differently. There are library entries that can assist you, awaiting samples of your work in the fullness of time.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Welcome to the forum, a couple of posts will unlock your account so you can post pictures.... Looking forward to see what you have been up tošŸ˜šŸ˜

NIGBEE

Apprentice Member
First Name
Nigel Bache
Ah was wondering why I couldn't post pictures (or at least work out how)

Segmented blanks seem to be of most interest to me and have had an experiment. Also interested in wire inserts but been absolute failures so far, think my diameter is too small for the wire guage.

Handle sizes end up being about 12mm diameter by about 127mm long so quite small (very precision tools, also hand made)

I will look around the forum some more

NIGBEE

Apprentice Member
First Name
Nigel Bache
Ah! Seems I can now post pictures. These are my successful or near successful ones, the turning is nothing ground breaking and I am still working on shapes to be functional as well as nice looking (the tools work on a rotational basis)

Biggest problem I have had is getting the tool mounting hole central and parallel but have come up with a solution to that by making a drill bit holder from the tail stock of my mini lathe. The handle with the aluminium inlay is a failure because the mount hole is so eccentric as to make the tool useless.

I am also making the tool tip by hand from what's known as an ejector pin, lots of hand fileing (put it purely for context)

Not sure how the segmented handle will hold up as its essentially now three bits of wood glued together, pens have the barrel through the centre to aid structure, do they ever fail?

Thanks for the interest

Attachments

• 16785573132733884138499687329846.jpg
    16785573132733884138499687329846.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 1678557810606189243761369222833.jpg
    1678557810606189243761369222833.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0378.JPG
    DSC_0378.JPG
    995.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0368.JPG
    DSC_0368.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0379~2.JPG
    DSC_0379~2.JPG
    300.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0297.JPG
    DSC_0297.JPG
    750.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0301~2.JPG
    DSC_0301~2.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 12

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
welcome Nigel

A suggestion, drill the holes before you put the timber between centres to turn then the hole will always be concentric at its entrance to the handle. If you drill wildly off parallel the. all bets are off but the ENTRANCE will still be central.

NIGBEE

Apprentice Member
First Name
Nigel Bache
Thanks, I have rigged up a drill bit holder from my mini lathe live center tail stock thing that I can now drill holes with, still done ona had to eye coordination basis but it eliminates a lot of planes of error

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).