• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Second effort

RobR

First Name
Robert
So I decided to take about 10mm off the cap, which I think makes for a much better proportioned pen. Thoughts?

Would also look nice with a silver ring round the base of the cap. Maybe next time...

1000007777.jpg

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Nice job.

My advice, which is of course subjective, would be to try to avoid that turned down bit behind the cap threads. I know why you’ve done it but you can get around it by turning a rebate that is slightly larger than the major diameter inside the cap.

Cheers
Ash

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Thanks Ash. Still learning all of this. Is that an aesthetic thing, or is there a mechanical reason?
That’s a good question and it’s a little bit of both. And, by the way, pretty much everybody does this when they start. So it’s not a criticism and it’s not the end of the world but it is something you won’t see very often on pens made by, shall we say, more experienced makers.

Aesthetically I do think it stands out a little.
Some established pens do have an unthreaded area behind the threads but it’s usually at the major diameter, not turned down to the minor, and it’s because the caps are internally configured to post snugly on the barrel, meaning the threads are further inside the cap. So they need that extra bit of length to be there.

Also it is adding a weakness to that area. The chances of it breaking are obviously quite slim but it does reduce the wall thickness at that point.

The other thing is it’s always tricky to sand/polish areas like that. So you’re making life more difficult for yourself. Imagine if that wasn’t there and the rebate is inside the cap. Once you turn the threads on the barrel right up to the step you’re done. No cutting sandpaper to 3mm strips and trying to sand it without running into the threads as the lathe is spinning. (I did say you weren’t the first 😊).

Tip: For the rebate you can use a drill a smidge larger than the major diameter of the treads.

I hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Ash