• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Silver Wattle wood

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Known as Mimosa tree here in the UK. Native to Australia

Silver wattle is one for our Ozzie friends @Penpal @wm460

My Son and DIL moved in to the house last year that had what we understand to be mimosa tree growing in their garden, however it was caught out by the cold weather and the cold winds that has taken its toll on it and killed it off. As seen by the pictures it's well and truly died off. However it has some new shoots growing at its base.

So I'm spending time at his house while I'm recuperating from spinal surgery, one of my jobs it to supervise the cutting down of the tree. :whistling:

I'm sure I will make use of it over the coming years..:thumbs:

Attachments

• Mimosa-1.jpg
    Mimosa-1.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Mimosa-2.jpg
    Mimosa-2.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Mimosa-3.jpg
    Mimosa-3.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Mimosa-4.jpg
    Mimosa-4.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Mimosa-5.jpg
    Mimosa-5.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 14

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
That looks rather nice, I can see pentential in that🤣🤣
All the best for a speedy recovery too🙏

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I'm sure you must have researched the wood on Google @silver . Looking forward to seeing some lovely pens from it.
And best wishesfor a speedy recovery.
@Phil Dart, I did research it yes.

They had someone come round and have a look at it and explained what tree it was, not much could be done with it as you can see with the bark coming off. They are susceptible to a cirus that they tend to get but don’t believe it’s that that has caused it’s demise.

My DIL has some pics of it in full bloom. Will have to see if I can get some off her and post on here.

Yes recovery is going very well and I’m in less pain than I was so that’s got to be good start, just waiting for the next session under the knife which should help even further.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
As another native born in Australia it is distressing to learn of your need for operation Wilma and I wish you speedy recovery and admire your family for coming to your aid at this time mate.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Your photos look like the black wattle up here.
Your lucky its not the mimosa we have up here.

Thanks Mark,
It could well be black wattle, rather uninspiring at first look TBH, managed to get a few small pieces dried out due to the fact that they had no bark on them and was less than 30% moisture anyway.
I have posted a couple of purple dyed ones that were an accident.:rolling: