• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Spalted Beech bowl

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
Made his first thing this morning before me mates turned up 11 1/2” Spalted Beech this gave my day a good start in preparation for a day of enjoying the company of likeminded friends over a few sherbets down the local lol IMG_6441.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6442.jpeg
    IMG_6442.jpeg
    804.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6444.jpeg
    IMG_6444.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6445.jpeg
    IMG_6445.jpeg
    634.7 KB · Views: 7

Michael M.

First Name
Michael
Very nice. You’ve presented the spalting really well. Turning spalted wood is nearly always a mystery of what you’re going to get.

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
Very nice. You’ve presented the spalting really well. Turning spalted wood is nearly always a mystery of what you’re going to get.
This was quite a nice piece no soft pucky material all quite solid which made it a joy to turn

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
have you tried stabilizing any with punky bits? I’ve used wood hardener but apart from it stinking it was not a resounding success
Yes I use a cheep super-thin CA glue as well as hardening the wood it darkens it

Michael M.

First Name
Michael
have you tried stabilizing any with punky bits? I’ve used wood hardener but apart from it stinking it was not a resounding success
Wood hardener doesn’t seem to work very well on spalted wood and I also use super thin super glue on spalted wood that has gone past its best or, if it’s really bad but I want to keep it, I dunk the lot in a bath of cactus juice and vacuum it down. Stabilising with cactus juice also darkens the wood quite a bit. I always stabilise punky pen blanks in cactus juice, it makes life so much easier.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Very nice job mate and that certainly is a lovely piece of Beech.... You do turn some stunning bits😍😍😍

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).