• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sparrowhawk

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
He pen people.

(Please look away if you’re a bit squeamish).

We are regularly visited by this sparrowhawk who we’ve seen predate enormous seagulls, pigeons and, of course, sparrows in our back garden over the last few months. However this is the first time it’s been this close to the house.

It did once fly in to my tiny workshop whilst I was at the lathe and it stood on my desk. We had that “moment” some of you might know, that you only get when you’re face to face with a wild animal. A feeling of awe, slight fear and ”nobody’s going to believe this” all rolled into one.

I had a similar feeling once when I was fishing in the Adirondacks and I turned a corner on the riverbank to come face to face with a black bear cub. As you may appreciate, seeing a bear cub is, in fact, a lot more scary than seeing an adult. We just stood there looking at each other for what seemed like a very long time. Thankfully my friends arrived a few moments later, before mama bear did, and the cub ran off into the woods. I do recall that didn’t fish much more that day…

But back to this sparrowhawk. It caught the sparrow on the step right up against our patio doors, and luckily it was standing right behind the frame/joint in the bi-fold of the doors so I was able to slither across the kitchen floor on my belly without being seen and I took this photo with my iPhone. (These iPhones really are so impressive at taking pictures). I can’t imagine how manly my stalking technique must have appeared to my wife, who was holding the dog at the time. I must ask her later.

Anyway I thought it was worth sharing. A little gruesome, (apologies if you’re having your breakfast), but isn’t it a very good illustration of how nature can be equally brutal and beautiful at the same time.

Cheers
Ash
IMG_4320.jpegIMG_4319.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4321.jpeg
    IMG_4321.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 20

PensFromNo11

First Name
Darren
excellent photos (obvs not so great for the sparrow)

Not had a close encounter with a wild animal as far as I can remembered which is only seemingly about 48hrs these days, but I do get that
A feeling of awe, slight fear and ”nobody’s going to believe this”
moment when I get 3 or 4 sets of traffic lights all on green

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
Great photos, thanks for sharing, a lucky sight to see. As said not so lucky for the sparrow but natures way.

Padster

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Thanks for showing these great pictures. Something majestic about a bird of prey.....and they do have to eat something ...circle of life.
We have a few buzzards living close by here. I wish that crows and magpies were their food of choice as they seem to be multiplying every year.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Great photo nature must continue however gruesome it may appear.

I wonder what the vegetarians and vegans would say too this raptor :funny:
:funny::funny:

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
excellent photos (obvs not so great for the sparrow)

Not had a close encounter with a wild animal as far as I can remembered which is only seemingly about 48hrs these days, but I do get that

moment when I get 3 or 4 sets of traffic lights all on green
3 green lights? Nobody would believe you…

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
What a privelidge Ash. And great photos too.

We alsos have a sparrowhaw who lurks around the garden, but never that close and there is always that pardox when you see it go for some unsuspecting little bird. It's not always successful but often it is, but that's the way the world works I suppose.