• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Spider ID

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
There I was, quietly minding my own business rummaging through my wood store when suddenly, from the shadows, this rather fierce looking specimen appeared. I obviously didn’t flinch at all, and did what any chap would do in such a situation. I called for my wife to come and remove it to safety.

I am familiar with the more common British spiders but I hadn’t seen anything like this before. So are there any arachnologists (is that even a word?) on here able to tell me what model it is? We looked it up and think it may be a False Widow. It’s about an inch in diameter I would estimate.

Cheers
Ash

IMG_0378.jpeg

waterbuffalo

First Name
nigel
There I was, quietly minding my own business rummaging through my wood store when suddenly, from the shadows, this rather fierce looking specimen appeared. I obviously didn’t flinch at all, and did what any chap would do in such a situation. I called for my wife to come and remove it to safety.

I am familiar with the more common British spiders but I hadn’t seen anything like this before. So are there any arachnologists (is that even a word?) on here able to tell me what model it is? We looked it up and think it may be a False Widow. It’s about an inch in diameter I would estimate.

Cheers
Ash

View attachment 49990
Doesn't the false widow have a red triangle on its back.. Summat, like that anyway.. I reckon that's just a boring old spider

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
A reliable source (bloke in the pub) reckons it is a female Noble False Widow, so called because they look a lot like the venomous Black Widow spiders you see down under.

It’s not poisonous but can give a bite with symptoms similar to a wasp sting.

Apparently they are not indigenous but came in with fruit imported from the Canary Islands.

Bananas.

Cheers
Ash

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
Nice specimen! I have a couple in my workshop that I feed the damn blue bottles to ! Prefer them to the little sods that get in the smoke alarm and trigger the bl##dy thing !

Use a ping- pong bat to stun the flies then lob then onto the web .

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
Hey Ash it’s a Cupboard Spider… kinda false widow. But that’s doesn’t mean it’s ok to handle as it can still be pretty toxic!
Alex

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
1689259120385.png This is a Female Noble False Widow :eeeeek:

What you have is the "False Widow" Spider 1689259274543.png

It's a native to the UK, belonging to the genus Steatoda.

“These are common throughout the UK and often found in or near buildings where they produce a loose tangled web.
“Their common name of false widow relates to the fact that these spiders look similar to the black widow spider (Latrodectus hesperus) although this species is not found naturally in the UK.

Whatever you have they make great Fly Eaters :claps: