• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Spindle blanks

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Some one has asked if I could turn them a spindle blank. For a staircase I have never done anything like that before how difficult is it.

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
It will depend on what they want you to copy as you say a single spindle I'm assuming they have a broken one or some such issue that requires new, you will also need a lathe that will take the length they require, it may be a very simple design in which case it will be easy, it could be more ornate or have twists and therefore more complex.

I'm not sure it helps... how long is a piece of string :winking:

Regards

Padster

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
Some one has asked if I could turn them a spindle blank. For a staircase I have never done anything like that before how difficult is it.
I have turned quite a few, first of all if they can give you the original to copy so much the better, if not see if you can the get the next one in line, when you turn it remember that the top will have to fit in to a hole 2-5 cms deeper that the bottom, this is because they should be design so as to slide into the top then down into the bottom leaving the 'fitting void' in the top.

Unless of course they are flush fit to the banister and ramp, then make sure that you get the angles right and use a piece longer than you need so as to be able to trim it later, good versions of those use an angled mortise and tenon to stop lateral movement, bad ones use pins to hold them in place. Send me a pm if you need more info, I don't come onto the site very often since covid terminated my business.

I forgot if they are set in holes they are normally glued, to get the next on in line a pair of heavy duty gloves, hold top and bottom and sharp twist normally releases them, check to make sure they aren't pinned first. You can also make a silhouette from the stairs as was suggested above.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).