• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Strange woods….

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
My son and I try to outdo each other at Christmas with odd bits of wood we have come across as gifts to each other. 😇😁
This year my son was the winner with my gifts from him being a section of a Palm Tree (old table leg) & a piece of African Black Wood (again recycled).

Maybe I have led a sheltered life 😂😂, but never seen (or knowingly seen) either of these, especially the Palm wood, what an amazing pattern in the wood.

Just a thought but what is the rarest / strangest wood you have found / turned. 🤔

Turning them both this week so I will let you know how it goes 🤔😁

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
Australian burr timbers . Very hard, very beautiful ,very heavy

rarest - my grandfathers lignum vitae bowls . the grain is incredible and the oil content formidable . The only blanks i’ve had to ream out after drilling with the correct sized bit cos the holes self closed on the tubes.

cutting them was a challenge on the bandsaw too🤦‍♂️

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Sequoia is a timber which is very soft & you have to be careful when sanding. A minimum of very light sanding is required or you can spoil your turning.