• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Turning Acrylic - Traditional or carbide tools?

PensFromNo11

First Name
Darren
I'm getting into turning Acrylic pens in a big way, but so far I've just used my traditional skews and gouges, I'm getting good enough results, but its very slow compared with turning wood.

What are most of you using?
Are there benefits in either Traditional or Carbide tools?

Darren

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I turn my pens on a metal lathe I have all ways used carbide inserts. I have a wood lathe but I have never turned a pen on it.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Use both,word of warning there are so many makers of 9inferior plastic that they respond so differently. I liken them to consumables such as cars and tyres,just depend.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I use a spindle roughing gouge & home made finishing tool. I have used carbide but it’s not my preferred system.

Tephy

First Name
Steve
I use both and some tools I made myself. I tend to do several wood pens and then several resin pens to stop me from getting bored. The most important thing is sharp tools.

darrenreid1967

First Name
Darren
I'm getting into turning Acrylic pens in a big way, but so far I've just used my traditional skews and gouges, I'm getting good enough results, but its very slow compared with turning wood.

What are most of you using?
Are there benefits in either Traditional or Carbide tools?

Darren
I was trained with traditional tools 42 years ago and have and am proficient with carbide as well. I still prefer a sharp skew chisel as I find that I prefer the control and finishing cuts from a skew over carbide.

You will have die hard traditional tool and die hard carbide tool users. One takes time and skill to learn to use and sharpen, whereas carbide doesn't. At the end of the day use what you want but remember carbide isn't a magic answer if someone is having difficulty using traditional tools. It comes down to practice, not once, not twice but ongoing.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Carbides are popular because they provide instant access to turning for those who don't know how to use traditional gouges. If you know how to use traditional tools, there is no reason on most materials, to use anything else, especially considering that a carbide is essentially just a scraper that takes longer to go blunt. That said, I do use a carbide in shear-scraping mode as a final cut on acrylics - I find a skew too feeble on acrylics so I use a gouge, and a final shear cut with a carbide tidies it up for me prior to sanding.

PensFromNo11

First Name
Darren
Carbides are popular because they provide instant access to turning for those who don't know how to use traditional gouges. If you know how to use traditional tools, there is no reason on most materials, to use anything else, especially considering that a carbide is essentially just a scraper that takes longer to go blunt. That said, I do use a carbide in shear-scraping mode as a final cut on acrylics - I find a skew too feeble on acrylics so I use a gouge, and a final shear cut with a carbide tidies it up for me prior to sanding.
The reason I asked the question in the first place was because I was using a skew, getting good results but, It took time, as you say a bit feeble. I've had a go at your method of applying melamine on a Thuya Burr pen today (ill post the results in a while), but next time I'm on an acrylic blank ill give my never been used Robert Sorby changeable head carbide thing a go - shear scraping mode I guess is at a 45 degree angle?
Thank you for the idea and the finishing PDF (Melamine pen is looking good)

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
I use HSS and carbon steel,tools on wood, hybrid and acrylic because that’s what I have always used. As yet haven’t tried carbide on them. For hollowing deep into end grain I love my ring tool but have just got a Simon Hope carbide to,try out .

The carbon steel holds a wonderful edge but only,for a short time but easy and fast to sharpen with a hone.