• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Way, way off topic

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
Evening all turners,
Was at consultants yesterday and confirmed that I have cataracts in both eyes. Was told by opticians that my right eye was the worst. But Consultant told me yesterday that my left eye was the worst and will have to undergo cartact surgery in January. Then wait to see if it is OK, and then await details for my right eye. After that have to get eyes retested for glasses if required. So might be June/July before I can restart turning again. However I will be turning up till January and then put down tools. So won't be under pressure on making pens so can concentrate on building up stock of kits and blanks.
I will be looking forward to seeing all the pens that you all will be making during this time......

Tom

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Dont worry about it.
I had a detached retina in my right eye several years ago. I also had cataracts in both eyes. The left cataract was the worse. So to fix the detached retina in my right eye would of meant I would be blind because of the cataract in the left eye. Thay did all three procedures in one go.
Lots of years later I can see with out any problems. I wear glasses for close up work but other than that I have no issues.
Cataract Surgey takes very little time they normally do one eye at a time. The results are amazing you will need drops in your eyes at first but your eye sight will improve within 24 hours.

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
All the best with your operation in January. My wife got both eyes done at different times and everything was pretty straightforward.
Be encouraged that things will improve after the job's done as Dave @alpha1 above says.

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
All the best with your operation in January. My wife got both eyes done at different times and everything was pretty straightforward.
Be encouraged that things will improve after the job's done as Dave @alpha1 above says.
Thanks Alan think they do one bring you back 6-8 weeks later to see if ok. Then get 6-8 weeks for the other and then back to see if that's ok. However going on holiday late April so I would be scared if just had op done if pressurised cabin on plane may affect it, so prefer to get 2nd done in May.......

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
The best of luck for January Tom. Be a good patient after the op though - overdoing it too soon is a sure way of extending the recovery time

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
I just got the new prescription safety specs after having my right eye cataract fixed mid-September - it's been 8 weeks interruption to turning time. (Two of those weeks spent waiting for the lab to get the specs made and returned to the optician.)

I hope your procedures are as smooth and successful as mine.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
Hope all goes rapidly and smoothly for you.

You will be astounded at the improvement in your colour vision after the op. Plus when anyone stares into your eyes you will have a glint at certain angles ( as the lens reflection is slightly different ) so you can claim either a saintly view or wicked glint depending on mood šŸ˜‰