• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What can be done with holly?

Dario

First Name
Allan
In terms of things like bleaching wenge and fuming oak, are there any interesting things that can be done with holly? I've a friend who wants a pen from holly wood.

Dario

First Name
Allan
Oxy moran take advantage of its whiteness.

Could you elaborate? I'm not familiar with that (still fairly new to the whole this peculiar thing we do). oogle wasn't much help. :)

I'm starting to mull ideas for segmenting. The request is to remember their grandfather whose favorite Christmas song was The Holly and the Ivy. They already picked out the PSI Botanical for the hardware. Maybe ye olde 2 bands at 45 degrees or maybe 4 half cuts in ivy green

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I may be in the minority on this one Allan but I’d just simply make the pen out of holly. A very nice light wood and would suit a gold plated kit.

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
Holly is a pure wood and in my opinion it stands alone I have made some beautiful items with Holly including a very rare spalted log I acquired many years ago same with Box wood they are two woods that give the turner pure joy when turning why not make a pan set one Holly and one Ivy if you can get your hands on a piece of Ivy that is

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I'm with Woody and Peter. Holly is a joy to turn, and is unusual in that it's usually an unadulterated, creamy shade of white. A pen made entirely of holly is what I would be doing with it. It fisnished beaitufully and will look amazing.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).