• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

what glues to use ?

Del71

Apprentice Member
First Name
Derek
Hi All
so I am just getting back to turning after a few years away doing other hobbies. Done a good few pens before all just plain wood, but all these segmented pens that are going about have got my attention now. so to my question or what probably is a can/bottle of worms,
GLUES
so before I spend a bit of cash on some . what is best
I realize CA is popular for finishes but what is good for putting your pen blanks back together with the different materials that can be used for segmented pen blanks?
CA or 2-part epoxy or your everyday wood glue whats the better make for the money or is it a case of trying it all to see what suits you? am in the UK so something I can get my hands on here if you have any suggestions

thanks, Derek

monophoto

First Name
Louie
that question is a bit like 'boxers or briefs' - its a personal choice.

My preferences are:
1. General purpose wood to wood, for dry applications: PVA (I prefer Titebond)
2. General purpose wood to wood, for outdoor applications: two-component epoxy, polyurethane, or water-resistant PVA
3. General purpose wood to metal: usually two-component epoxy (5-minute formulation), but sometimes polyurethane
4. Gluing wood pen components to brass tubes: polyurethane
5. Temporary joints: hot melt glue

I rarely use CA although I do keep some in the shop along with PVA, polyurethane two-part epoxy, and hot-melt glue sticks. I usually try to get by on those, but will purchase something special if none of those meet the needs of the project I'm working on.