• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

what plastics / acrylics

Del71

Apprentice Member
First Name
Derek
Hi all
so when you are making up your blanks with veneers what other thin materials can be used for segmenting and where is the best place to get them? I did try aluminum the other day from a beer tin it didn't turn out to be the best lol but just getting back to it, my gluing at the end wasn't that great but you need to make mistakes to learn lol

thanks Derek

Del71

Apprentice Member
First Name
Derek
Pick guard material for guitars comes in solid and layered colours. Where to buy on your side of the pond I can't say but a few searches should turn up sources.

Pete
yep i was just looking at that very same material mate thanks

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
As others have said Derek, I have used old hotel keycards in the past. Found them in our suitcase as forgot to hand them in. 🤣

Bank cards are another one, along with anything you fancy.

Be aware of beer cans, they are mostly tin now with a little coating on them. Aluminium laminate is easier to turn with a round TCT in my opinion. (Others will say it isn’t)

You will find that there is no set way to make and finish a pen. In fact there as many ways to finish a pen as there are pen turners, and they are all right!

When you next go shopping have a look at anything you see and wonder if you can make a pen or utilise it in a pen.

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
I use many different materials for segmenting brass, aluminium sheets and angle plastic sheets wood in fact any solid material what will glue together

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpeg
    IMG_0362.jpeg
    460.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7798.jpeg
    IMG_7798.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7797.jpeg
    IMG_7797.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7800.jpeg
    IMG_7800.jpeg