• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Woody4pleasure

Woody4pleasure

Registered
First Name
Tim
Hi All, Not sure if this is the place for introducing myself, but hare goes and I hope that the admin staff can place this wherever it should be!
I am a new member from SE Queensland, au I have been pen turning on & off for the past 20 + years. I commenced Lathe work in approximately 2000 and have been involved with timber products all my life (now 76years old) I have a fairly well equipped workshop being able to go from logs through slabbing, resawing, thicknessing, Jointing, Scroll Sawing etc., to producing various wooden items both big and small. I have been indisposed over the past 6 months with a back injury (not from woodworking) and have copious amounts of Camphorlaurel, Bloodwood, Silky Oak, Red & White Cedar, Portuguese Elm plus a variety of local Hard-woods and Soft-woods. I think that my days are over for Milling timber and will have to be satisfied with the gear that I can possibly sit down to operate. I have done my fair share of running Workshops for Scrol-sawing, Box making, Pen turning, Pyrography, Engraving and Judged at many District Shows from North Qld to Gympie and outlying Districts. I have been commissioned to making a variety of Presentation Plaques through the eastern seaboard of Aus and on any visit away from home always manage to bring back a few sticks of local timber for inclusion in my small jewellery boxes. I don't project my skills as any "expert" but do seem to get the message across to fellow like-minded woodworking folk. I enjoy passing on my knowledge to any interested person and am hopefull of continuing with these pursuits for many more years while alive and kicking.
I apologise if I am cluttering up this space un-necessarily.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hello Tim - welcome to the Forum
You are not cluttering up any space. Quite the contrary - it's always great to get to know new members and find out about the things they get up to. I hope you enjoy the forum.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
Welcome Tim

potted history has me drooling and recalling some of the great timbers we found in Aus on holiday ! SWMBO and Australian / UK customs severely limited amounts I could return with sadly 🥲🥲

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Hi and welcome to the pen forum. I think loads would be very envious of the wood stocks you have. It will be very interesting to see some pens made from these woods.
Kelvin

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).