• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Workshop Heating

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Think I have seen something similar before Colon….

I'm curious. To my knowledge we don't have anything like those here. Are they made for heating structures or are they from a vehicle or a recreational vehicle?

Pete
They are commonly know as night heaters in the haulage industry and also used in RV’s and marine as well.

There are quite a few you tube videos on them if you search for Chinese diesel heaters. Hope that helps Peter.

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks silver. My curiosity is satisfied. What you've said confirms what I thought that they are being adapted to heat small spaces. They aren't allowed here for that, at least not if you want your insurance covered.

Pete

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
These are usually fitted into motorhomes. i have one in mine van and it heats up an area of 7mt x 2.5mts. We have had ours up to 29.5 degrees inside the van. The better heaters are called Eberspacher diesel heaters, expensive new to buy, but you can get cheaper Chinese made copies and they all run on diesel.
Kelvin

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
Sorry for the late reply.
I have had it fitted now for a week and have actually been enjoying some workshop time this week (had some time off).
My workshop is (approx) 5mt x 5mt and the heater has been on from 09.00 to 17.00 most days this past week, it has a thermostat set at around 18 deg and hand on heart wish I had thought of this years ago..

So far I have used 2lt of diesel (it has a 10Lt tank) so running costs are a heck of a lot cheaper than the electric fan I was using..

The total set up cost me just over £200, including the extra ducting and fitting I bought, very easy to put together and set up and works a charm.

You will find some comments about noise of it being loud, not found that myself, my lathe, dust extraction etc are far louder and the only noise I really hear is the ticking of the fuel pump..
My next task is to insulate the roof, I did the walls a couple of years ago but never got around to the roof area.

Would I recommend it, yes absolutely if your like me and like to spend time in your workshop, it has been a real game changer for me..

Oh Peter, I did call my insurance Co (I do have the workshop insured under a separate policy) and the ONLY stipulation was the exhaust had to be protected / sealed and outside 🙄 (as if I am going to have it into the workspace).
Other than than it hasn’t caused any concerns with them 👍👍

kinverkid

First Name
Gary
I fitted mine just a couple of months ago. Because of workshop space restrictions, the unit is outside which means it is constantly heating up the fresh air and I don't get to hear the little noise the heater makes. On the downside, it would be more efficient to have it take the heated air in the workshop and re-circulate it after warming it back up again. Now that warm weather has arrived, I might try and re-jig it to make it even more efficient. I set the thermostat to 15C and it heats my 11M x 2.7M workshop with the air filter on to help distribute the high-up warm air. I have been running it on kerosene which has been donated to me for free (about 60ltrs). To buy though, I think it is much cheaper and apparently burns hotter than diesel, I don't know about that.

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
Oh Peter, I did call my insurance Co (I do have the workshop insured under a separate policy) and the ONLY stipulation was the exhaust had to be protected / sealed and outside 🙄 (as if I am going to have it into the workspace).
Other than than it hasn’t caused any concerns with them 👍👍

Glad your insurance will still be valid. Here everything is an extra. Wood heat jacks up the price and because we are outside of the big city the firefighting is done by volunteers. We have to pay for the service if they come out to a call so we pay extra for that insurance coverage too. Last thing you want after a fire is to get a $10,000 or 20,000+ bill for their services. We are lucky though in that most homes have natural gas so it easy enough (not cheap though) to run a pipe to a shop for heat.

Pete

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I'd be very interested (and I'm sure, a lot of other folks would too) to see a few more piccies Colin. Particularly your ducting and air outlet arrangements.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).