• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ancient River Red Gum

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Dated 50000 years old dug up under a disused Sand Quarry 60 metres below. in view of its age I cut,turned it has a wavy grain through the timber and shaped it to do justice my way.

DSCF0325.JPG

Kind regards Peter:goesred:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Astounding !

How come you lot have all these fascinating materials to work with ? It's not fair :vangry:
Tell the truth Peter you planted it there in your childhood so you knew exactly where to dig it up.:ave_it::ave_it:
Keep showing these stunning works mate they are incredible.

naxie

Registered
That's an amazingly Intricate piece of turning Peter and a slice of history I wouldn't even dream of waving a chisel at. You have certainly done it justice.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Phil,
You're doing us an injustice! Have you tried Bog Oak? The deep black stuff mainly from Ireland and the stuff from Cheshire is not up to much (in my view)' but the slightly younger stuff from the Fens is beautiful and around 4,600 + yrs old. although not native to us Judas Wood is grown here and is beautiful. You won't get the bog oak from tree surgeons but there's plenty of beautiful stuff in this country!

Peter,
Beautiful pen, beautiful workmanship, thanks for posting it.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Neil,

It was a little tongue in cheek, which is difficult to do on a board like this.

I've only just started so not got anywhere near anything like Bog Oak, but will give it a try sometime for sure.

It's just that the Aus timbers seem to have the colour range and figuring unlike anywhere else, the sheer variety astounds me.

Combined with a stunning imagination and skill level which is awesome, Peters posts always lift my day.

I'm looking forward to my red Mallee burl and brown Malle burl this weekend.

Jim

Grand Master
I agree Phill, thou we do have some beautiful wood here in the UK, we will never be in the same league as the Aussies when it comes to exotics ... :bwink:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Neil,

I've only just started so not got anywhere near anything like Bog Oak, but will give it a try sometime for sure.

If you want to cheat with the bog oak rub some vinegar over any ol bit of Oak with wire wool and watch it go black save some cash at the same time LOL :thumbs: not sure about your silky oak though

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Neil,

It's just that the Aus timbers seem to have the colour range and figuring unlike anywhere else, the sheer variety astounds me.

Combined with a stunning imagination and skill level which is awesome, Peters posts always lift my day.

I'm looking forward to my red Mallee burl and brown Malle burl this weekend.

Phil, Difficult to gauge when anything on a forum is said tongue in cheek I know, but guessed as much.

Do try Bog oak and don't pay eBay prices for it or any other wood! Bog Oak, (burr) Mullberry, Judas Wood if you can get it, Walnut rootstock, Bog yew, Good figured yew, spalted beech, burr elm, stain some tight ripple ash, spalted chestnut, there are some beautiful British Woods that are sorely underrated.

George Watkins who posts as Cornucopia on other sites and makes resin and burr blanks Home taught me one of the most valuable lessons when it comes to turning pens, it's true "Life's too short to turn crap wood". Get some of these you won't regret it and they're not expensive.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).