• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Old turner new to this forum

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi my name is Vic but I am known as Woody by most turners and friends in woodworking circles I have worked with wood for most of my life as a hobby and to earn a living I first tried my hand at turning as a lad at school but never took it up again till 20 odd years ago i have shown many people how to turn over the years from my grandchildren to 70 year old men and a few woman I love turning natural edge items as well as fun items of no practical use also clocks, pens, toys in fact almost anything I have attempted to attach some pics of some kitless pens I made just for fun.
I have spent some time away from turning for health reasons so I have to set up again from scratch I have almost finished my workshop and waiting delivery of a new lathe so it will be a little while before I'm back in action

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 44
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 10a.JPG
    10a.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 43

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome Woody, it is good to hear you are back to feeling well enough to even think about turning again, starting from scratch again can/will be a little expensive, i have a few gouges that i have which if i recall are "Record" not 100% but i can put together these and maybe a few more that can get you back into it for now??? :thinks:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Welcome Woody, it is good to hear you are back to feeling well enough to even think about turning again, starting from scratch again can/will be a little expensive, i have a few gouges that i have which if i recall are "Record" not 100% but i can put together these and maybe a few more that can get you back into it for now??? :thinks:

Hi Jim that is really very kind of you the kindness I have come across from other turners since my return is outstanding it restores your faith in mankind please when you have sorted out let me know how much I owe you

Jim

Grand Master
Hi Jim that is really very kind of you the kindness I have come across from other turners since my return is outstanding it restores your faith in mankind please when you have sorted out let me know how much I owe you

I can tell you now ... Nowt ... :bwink:

I will sort something out tomorrow Woody, and get back to you ... :thumbs:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Welcome in Woody I have heard all about you from your mate Brian In fact I nearly brought him up to see you on my way home to Great Gonerby, just down the road from you I believe.
We will meet one day soon I had to shoot off again pretty pronto so missed out on this occasion plus Brian wasn't well enough to travel.
Apparently you taught him a lot about turning and he in turn has been teaching me, What lovely people you turners are giving time and effort to idiots like me.
I look forward to seeing more of your work, in fact if I can find it I have a picture of a bowl you made, it is pride of place on Brian's dining room table.
I pictured it to show another turner in Cyprus who I was lucky enough to find while stationed out there. He made some huge bowls for hotels but never did natural edge.
In fact give me a couple of minutes I'll go through my phone now.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
In fact give me a couple of minutes I'll go through my phone now.
Found a couple I took please forgive the pictures My photography is crap especially on my phone.
From memory I think it's about 18 X 24 inches. Engraved on the bottom from you to him and Jane.

IMAG0203.resized.jpg
IMAG0200.resized.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
George i can see why you took the picture, stunning ... :thumbs: Can you tell us the wood used Woody ... :thinks:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I think it is one of two woods American red Mulberry is my first choice or Robinia I had quite a lot of Both from trees on the grounds of a friends house in Lincolnshire no on closer inspection it is definitely Robinia

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
George Brian is a great friend that is why I gave the bowl to him and Jane I just hope he has a quick recovery from this bout and dose as he is told you know the chances of that happening as well as I do

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Woody, May I suggest that it is Robinia, the black line between sap and heart is number one giveaway, the flare, which you don't get in mulberry, number 2.

naxie

Registered
Welcome to the forum Woody! :thumbs:

Its fantastic to see you back in action. I used to love seeing your work over on UKW and when you announced your untimely retirement I actually expressed my disappointment out loud. On hearing me, swmbo asked me what the hell I was going on about. I preceded to show her a load of your work and explained your unfortunate situation, to which she was genuinely upset as well. I've just told her you've been given a clean bill of health and she is chuffed to bits for you, as am I.

At the time it actually prompted a discussion on what would happen to "my stuff" if I were to fall ill again or leave this mortal coil. The out come of which by the way, was to leave it as is until the kids are old enough to decide whether they will use it or not. Hopefully the little lad at least will take it on, he seems to be showing interest so far as you can see by my avatar picture, he's the less furry one.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).