• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Unknown material

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
I made this Slimline today. It was made from a piece of kitchen worktop.
When I trimmed the barrel ends the shavings were like this.
I don't know what material it is but it turned like a resin based material.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Pic_4a.jpg
    Pic_4a.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 102
  • Pic_1b.jpg
    Pic_1b.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 102

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I looks like corian but could be the stuff that Bob had, I can't remember the name of it now.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Could be either of the above, whatever it's plastic and I don't comment on plastic init?
Looks a nice shape and stuff.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Hi Don

It certainly looks like one of the Mistral (Karonia) worktops I have. I gave some away and put some into Neil's auction so could be from me but I know a couple of other forum members got hold of some from elsewhere. If it was 25mm thick it's almost certainly Mistral. Like Corian and that's exactly how the shavings look.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That's where I got it from, last year at York init?
I wondered what the imposter was in my drawer, gave it to Woody on Saturday to get rid of it init?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Don is that the barrel trimmer in your chuck on headstock?
Looks a bit lethal mate all that sharp steel spinning around in close proximity.
We all have our own ways but my method is Jacobs chuck and mill in tailstock and spin the blank init?
Not telling you how just another way.

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Hi Don, I am sure it is Mistral I have got a few bits of this that I salvaged from a skip at the rear of a bespoke kitchen designers workshop.

:thumbs:Vic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 18

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Hi Don

It certainly looks like one of the Mistral (Karonia) worktops I have. I gave some away and put some into Neil's auction so could be from me but I know a couple of other forum members got hold of some from elsewhere. If it was 25mm thick it's almost certainly Mistral. Like Corian and that's exactly how the shavings look.

Hi Lons,
It was 25mm thick :thumbs:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Don is that the barrel trimmer in your chuck on headstock?
Looks a bit lethal mate all that sharp steel spinning around in close proximity.
We all have our own ways but my method is Jacobs chuck and mill in tailstock and spin the blank init?
Not telling you how just another way.

Thanks Grump. :thumbs: I will revise my work methods accordingly :thinks:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Hi Don, I am sure it is Mistral I have got a few bits of this that I salvaged from a skip at the rear of a bespoke kitchen designers workshop.

:thumbs:Vic

Thanks Vic. I will take this picture to the club on Saturday and see if my supplier recognises it. :thumbs:
On re-reading this I realise I could (should) have posted these replies in one post :rolling:
Still I suppose it helps with the credits :funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).