• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Using excess resin

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
In the post of Paulm's "Casting Fever" I put a link to a video in which the chap poured any left over resin into large tubes to make bottle stoppers. The question is will fresh resin stick to resin that has hardened well enough so that it can be turned. I know people do the same with wood and it sticks OK.

For those that don't want to search for the video here it is and what I am talking about is at 23:25

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
It does stick yes Derek. I use small tubs for my left overs and they can be sat for well over a week before i add to them. Not had one separate yet.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
THimple does it when you know how. With winter drawing on I have time to get ready thanks for the references.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
I have a couple of tubs that has my left overs Derek, the intentions were to make bottle stoppers using them .. Anyway two years later still blah blah blah .. :bwink:

Tephy

First Name
Steve
Does everyone use polyester resin when casting ?

Polyurethane does not adhere well to cured polyurethane resin, I have tried roughing the shiny surface to improve adhesion but after both attempts flew apart on the lathe I now accurately weigh all my resin so there is virtually no waste.

Having spoken to a friend (who uses Alumilite daily ) in the USA this is also true of Alumilite

Maybe I should try polyester resin ( and save some money ) but I just love the easy way polyurethane turns on the lathe, and I don't need to sharpen my tools as often so they last longer ( I suppose )

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Does everyone use polyester resin when casting ?

Polyurethane does not adhere well to cured polyurethane resin, I have tried roughing the shiny surface to improve adhesion but after both attempts flew apart on the lathe I now accurately weigh all my resin so there is virtually no waste.

Having spoken to a friend (who uses Alumilite daily ) in the USA this is also true of Alumilite

Maybe I should try polyester resin ( and save some money ) but I just love the easy way polyurethane turns on the lathe, and I don't need to sharpen my tools as often so they last longer ( I suppose )

That is what I am using at the moment as I have just started and it is cheaper option. OK more sharpening required but can still get a good finish on them as can be seen on the ones I did from polyester.

HERE

HERE

AND HERE

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).