• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Measuring Catyalist

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
When I got the resin for my blanks it came supplied with a syringe which I have found to be a pain so instead of measuring using that I now use an eye dropper which can be brought from a chemist I find this much better and more controllable.
As you can see it has a storage container which it screws into. I always squeeze the excess back into the bottle and not into the dropper storage piece.

Attachments

• DSCF4516.jpg
    DSCF4516.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF4517.jpg
    DSCF4517.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 75

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Does the drooper have measurements on it?

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Does the drooper have measurements on it?

Peter

Well spotted I used the syringe without the plunger and put my finger over the bottom and added drops up to the correct mark counting them. so now I count the drops into the resin as required much quicker than having to try and get the correct amount into the syringe every time. I used water to work this out and then dried every thing before using it for the purpose.

I will have to do it again for the square mould I have made but once done I will have a record of it for next time.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Okay, I see how you did it now. The syringes supplied are too big to go into the MEKP bottle so I bought lots of 1 ml syringes and they last for 5 or 6 casts and then I use a new one, they are cheap, but if you have got the amount worked out for your blanks then nothing else is needed.

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Okay, I see how you did it now. The syringes supplied are too big to go into the MEKP bottle so I bought lots of 1 ml syringes and they last for 5 or 6 casts and then I use a new one, they are cheap, but if you have got the amount worked out for your blanks then nothing else is needed.

Peter

It is surprising how quick you find ways of getting around things I find this works even in the very short time I have been casting. Mind there is still a lot to learn. I will be picking more of everyone's brains as i come across problems

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I had forgotten that a mate gave me some graduated pipettes and the are even cheaper and quicker to use, when I run out of syringes I will get those.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Is this a crucial way to add ie any method. What is the criteria and how is it tested?

Peter.

The criteria is measuring the correct amount, too much and very brittle too little and could be days or longer to cure

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).