• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Nova G3 chuck - thoughts?

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I have reached the limits of what I can achieve with the cheap little watchmakers chuck I have. Trying to make closed-end pens on it, the jaws don't hold the pin mandrel tightly enough and the mandrel wobbles.

Budget is a major concern, so I wondered about the Nova G3 chuck - does anyone have any thoughts or advice? It comes with step jaws which would seem ideally suited to what I want to do.

retreatjohn

I have a couple of G3 chucks and they do everything I ask of them. I keep one with 50mm jaws and one with 25mm jaws fitted. The smallest that they grip with the 25mm jaws is 10mm so if I am understanding you correctly they will not close on a standard mandrel. Looking at the chuck in the link the centre of the step jaws looks the same as the centre of the 25mm set.
John

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I have a couple of G3 chucks and they do everything I ask of them. I keep one with 50mm jaws and one with 25mm jaws fitted. The smallest that they grip with the 25mm jaws is 10mm so if I am understanding you correctly they will not close on a standard mandrel. Looking at the chuck in the link the centre of the step jaws looks the same as the centre of the 25mm set.
John

John, it's a shop-made pin mandrel I want them to close on. I have machined the chuck end of each to 12mm dia, so we should be okay.

Jim

Grand Master
I have one David, i have Cole jaws on it all the time, i got it off ebay a while ago for about £50 if i recall ... I was watching this chuck the other day before it disappeared ... SUPER-NOVA-WOODTURNING-CHUCK

I guess he sold it for a BIN offer .... :down:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I have one David, i have Cole jaws on it all the time, i got it off ebay a while ago for about £50 if i recall ... I was watching this chuck the other day before it disappeared ... SUPER-NOVA-WOODTURNING-CHUCK

I guess he sold it for a BIN offer .... :down:

i bought one off ebay and in 2011 and paid 130 and with all the jaw i got with it i came to about 400 :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).