• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

mini cone cast

Jim

Grand Master
Good luck Don, looking forward to seeing these on a pen my friend .. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I'm sure they'll come out ok Don, I look forward to seeing the results :thumbs:

Looks like the dogs are going to get more walks on top of the hill where the larches are :thumbs:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Looking good.:thumbs:
I really fancy having a go myself, got a lot of cones in my garden.
What resin did you use Don?

I used Clear Cast Resin probably 7 or 8 months old now, stored in the shed over winter.
I added some Acrylic paint to the mix and gave it a lot of stirring.
The excess I have left to harden in the container on the right.
It is sitting in the Ultra Sonic Cleaner from Lidl (Aldi?) I gave it 2 bursts of 3 minutes in there.
@paulm, thanks for the cones there are plenty left to keep trying. I am glad to hear they are larch cones, I thought they were mini pine cones :nooidea:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
That pic says it all Don the care, nurture you have applied to the preparation is extraordinary certainly over and above. I look nforward to visiting where I worked some thirty years ago and showing my version of a cone grown there for contrast following your progress. You also reminded me with storing I have thrown away more glue than I will ever use through keeping it too long cause it cost so much. Cost per pen keeps on rising.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Yes Peter, I will need a clear out of some shelves containing 'stuff'.
I know there is a tin of Cascamite in there and I think they went out of production about 3 years ago :rolling: An unopened tin I may add :sob:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
I dumped the cast from the mould this morning and cut it into 3 pieces about 18mm square.

pic_1.JPG

pic_2.JPG

They look ok I think.
Was going to put one on a Sierra Elegance and one on a Zeta (I think ? one of Dan's anyway)
I have a 9mm drill for the Zeta but I had to order the 27/64" for the Sierra as I can't find mine. :sob:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Did you get many air pockets or even bubbles using the Ultra sonic cleaner. They look OK from here

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
There were bubbles but I will see when I get them turned.
I used the cleaner 3 times @ 180 seconds I reckon the third time was probably too late to do anything effective as it was fairly jelly like.

Jim

Grand Master
A first own made cone pen in the making .. Very nice Don, hopefully we will see the results very soon .. :bwink:

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
Yes Peter, I will need a clear out of some shelves containing 'stuff'.
I know there is a tin of Cascamite in there and I think they went out of production about 3 years ago :rolling: An unopened tin I may add :sob:

The cascamite should be fine if unopened. It is the moisture within the air that normally gets it. If you decant it into small sealed containers when you do open it, so that you are not exposing the whole lot to air when you use a little, it can last for many years.

AndyC65

First Name
Andy
Looks good Don - thanks for sharing.

How did you put the cones in the resin?

Reason I ask - I actually make paperweights with military badges using resin and used to get a lot of bubbles until I was advised to soak the badge in resin first, moving it genly until no air bubbles, then add it to the resin in the cast. I found this reduced the air bubbles greatly.

I hadn't used the ultrasonic bath, but will do that now - thanks for the tip.

Personally, for casting blanks, I can't understand why people would use a pressure pot. For Stabilizing, yes, but not for blanks. IMHO of course.

cheers,

Andy C

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).