• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Unusual pen blanks

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I think we are richer in this country than many think with the range and colours of the woods that we have, Laburnum, Yew, better Bog Oak than the Irish, Elm, Walnut, Judas Wood (a bit rare) and this one (even rarer!). Managed to pick this up from a friendly merchant who has only ever had one tree in thirty five years in the business and he sold me the last batch.

Dont know if this close up will show the colour and the grain, the above photograph has washed the colours out a bit.

Jim

Grand Master
Wouldn't mind a frw pens made with this, now tell us what it is pleaseeeeee :kiss:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Very interesting colouring in that wood Neil it looks a bit like Yew but as you mention it above I doubt it.
I seem to think I have read somewhere that a nail or metal can turn some wood purple but not sure now of what?

Old Corky

Cedar.jpg

Looks a lot like our Texas Red Cedar, but I doubt that's it. I guess I am lucky, a Lodge Brother has a sawmill and I get pieces he doesn't want for furniture from his burn pile. Those in the picture are 2 X 2 bt 12 or 14 inches. Pretty good trash.

Old Corky
From Pine Island, Texas

Jim

Grand Master
Well i prepared two blanks of this wood today ready to turn tomorrow, when drilling the 7mm hole the smell was very strong of a Aromatic scent, but Neil tells me it is not the Red Cedar that smells very similar ... So still not sure ... :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).