• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

friction polish

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I see a few people on here use friction polish on their wooden pens. Whilst this is undoubtedly quick how long does it last.

keith

Jim

Grand Master
I use one at work Keith that i made over a year ago, there is a slight bit of wear and tear but i do work in a glass factory ... :winking:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Friction polish is fine on pens I have been using it for over 20 years but if that is the finish you want to keep then it has to be looked after like any bit of polished furniture any type of furniture polish will do apply with a cotton cloth leave to dry for about 20 min then buff another way is to put on several coats of F/P then several coats of woodturners stick I am going to get some of the eee ultra shine polish that Jim uses tomorrow it seems to give a great finish they are the simple ways no doubt others will come in with other ideas this is just a very simple and quick way
One finish you cant put on top of F/P is oil it will just flake of very quickly

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
you have to put wax finish over the top

Who says? I don't. I use Shellawax over a EEE base and it gives me a really durable finish. Customers get a leaflet on pen maintenance and are advised to give it a bit of furniture wax polish. My own pen I made from cocobolo five years ago I use on a construction site and havent polished it in five years and it still looks great.

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
I have found that the acid and oils in your skin will dull friction polish over time. I use a CA\BLO finish that gives a matte finish that is not too shiny, but totally impervious to skin oils and acid. My carry pen has been in daily use for over three years and still looks good. One of my husband's pens that I made when I was first getting started, turned dull and flat where his fingers held it. I had to take it apart, sand it down, and refinish it with the CA\BLO. I don't use a straight CA finish because I don't like the very shiny finish.

Sharon

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Is friction polish the same thing as lathe polish ?

I wondered the same thing and from what I can tell on T'Internet then yes it seems to be the same thing.

I am going to try the Liberon lathe polish sometime in the next couple of weeks, unless someone more expert on here says don't.

I started with the CA and got some reasonable results for a beginner, but just lately it seems to be "ridgy" no matter what I do with it, so will try the friction polish and wax route and see which I prefer.

Jim

Grand Master
The only wood that i seem to do the BLO/CA finish is Olive wood, but not all the time, i also use BLO then leave it a while and do a friction polish finish with it .. But you are correct Sharon this type of finish leaves it more darker with less shine .. :thumbs:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Phil,

The CA finish, I started getting the same as you 'ridgy', worked it out that I was to heavy handed with the CA.
I now use CA Ultra Thin and roughly 2 drops wiped per blank per coat. Use accelerator (Screwfix ) after every coat and it usually comes up pretty good.
:ciggrin:
I haven't yet tried BLO/CA yet. Anybody got any tips?

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Phil,

The CA finish, I started getting the same as you 'ridgy', worked it out that I was to heavy handed with the CA.
I now use CA Ultra Thin and roughly 2 drops wiped per blank per coat. Use accelerator (Screwfix ) after every coat and it usually comes up pretty good.

I've been following this chaps method ..had some success on olive wood ,oak, Ash etc

WoodTurning BLO and CA Pen Finish - YouTube

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Phil,

Cheers, I'm using thin but maybe trying to put 2 much on, will give the accelerator a try as I'm not using that currently.

Yes, let the BLO go off/ dry off thoroughly, I tried it last weekend and if you don't it makes a real bloody dogs breakfast of the finish when you put CA on top of damp BLO :funny:

Jim

Grand Master
I am now very selective with a CA finish, especially when i can get a very good finish on woods with friction polish .. :thumbs:

Bluefoxy

True you don't have to put anything on top of friction polish but I have found that a thin application of Renaissance wax over the whole pen, including the metal bits, when finished does prevent 'finger drag' and fingerprints.

Ray

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I am now very selective with a CA finish, especially when i can get a very good finish on woods with friction polish .. :thumbs:

Care to do a short tutorial / explanation of exactly how you get such a good finish ?

Might be useful for us lesser mortals and stop us making silly mistakes.

Jim

Grand Master
There is nothing to it Phill, if the wood has some nice grain i use a bit of BLO left to dry then apply about 6 or 8 applications of the friction polish. I apply it while the lathe is stood, then spin it at 3000rpm and lightly run the towel over the wood with the area of the towel used to apply the polish, then with a clean part of the towel i run it between the thumb and forefinger with just enough pressure to keep the towel from wrapping around the blank, you should start to feel the heat coming through the towel before the next application ... Then again i use a number of finishes on top of the friction which includes, EEE - Ultra Shine, Renaissance wax and Chestnut Woodwax to name a few, but all give good results ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).