• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Just finished ma wee mans xmas present.

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
DundeeCity-20121223-00291.jpg

First finished project post here. Apologise in advance for the poor photograph... My decent DSLR has a fault, so I'm forced to photo with my camera..

Basically its Banksia nut with red resin fill....

his mother thinks he'll like it.. :bwink:

Jim

Grand Master
Looks very good to me Matty, also there is a thread in here somewhere where i said i would like to turn one of these nuts. Seeing how good yours looks its given me the kick i needed ... :thumbs:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
Thanks Jim... Its my first foray with Banksia Nut, and it was a nightmare... It had to be pieced together three times and stabilised during the size reduction process, It was a very large blank. The photography simply doesn't do these blanks credit.
The guy I get them from is George, on this link. Very helpful chap in deed..

Home

Jim

Grand Master
Some excellent blanks here Matty, but i doubt i would invest much with him as he is very expensive. I know its an old cliché but i can buy the same items from the USA much cheaper than i can buy them here in the UK ... :goesred:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
Some fab stuff in the USA Jim.. I've ordered blanks my self from there..
Just timescale for me.. Perhaps sometime we could organise a bulk order,with shared postage costs!!

On a positive note, the wee man was over the moon with his pen...:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Some fab stuff in the USA Jim.. I've ordered blanks my self from there..
Just timescale for me.. Perhaps sometime we could organise a bulk order,with shared postage costs!!

On a positive note, the wee man was over the moon with his pen...:thumbs:

lol, just mentioned a bulk buy in my last post Matty, before seeing this ... :thumbs:

I am not surprissed the boy likes the pen, i wouldn't have minded that one in my own collection ... :bwink:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Very nice pen mate, the red is very vibrant which helps bring out the colour of the nut. What polish did you use to bring the red out like that? Also i like the barron pen also, i have made a few of these and no matter what wood or acrylic is used they always look good. :thumbs:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
hi Tony,
It was coated in CA, primarily to stabilise it.. so it was basically just micromeshed, then plastic polished with cotton.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).