• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Inspired by Billy

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
I like the Corian yellow and black bee style pens done by Billy, so thought I would try a casting.

I mixed two pots of resin, one black one yellow. then poured a small amount in to another pot and added the mekp, then poured in to the mould. First black then 30 minutes later yellow and then repeat (apart from a break to watch Dr Who). Took a while but should get about 8 casts about 80mm long. They may have blended a bit and be less uniform than the corian, but should hopefully look ok.

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
This is what casting is all about John .. A nice bit of innovation my friend .. :thumbs:

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
looks good John.:thumbs::thumbs: How easy is it to mix and cast? The main question is it cost effective?

I am not sure that anything in woodturning is cost effective as with any hobby, but for me its about pushing my skill barriers and getting enjoyment from being creative. I have not been casting long enough to work out costs, it gets easier with every cast, but still challenges my artistic skills, and will continue to do so. There are some good casters on here with greater experience, and I think we all do it because it gives us the freedom to create our own blanks, and it probably is cheaper than buying blanks in the long run.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I see you have used corian to mould in how is it for releasing as I have a bit and want to make up some more moulds. The blank looks good when are you going to turn it

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
I see you have used corian to mould in how is it for releasing as I have a bit and want to make up some more moulds. The blank looks good when are you going to turn it

I put it shiny side in, and whilst it had to be prised apart (used a glue gun to join) it released ok, one slight chip out on one corner which might have been down to brute rather than persuasive force. Now after a 54 hour working week time to kick the weekend in to gear.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I put it shiny side in, and whilst it had to be prised apart (used a glue gun to join) it released ok, one slight chip out on one corner which might have been down to brute rather than persuasive force.

Thanks for that I have heard that if you wipe a cloth with a little cooking spray and then wipe the inside of the mould it releases easily.

Now after a 54 hour working week time to kick the weekend in to gear.

More casting

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).