• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

JR Gent 2 Bushes

Jim

Grand Master
Mark, if you are talking of the Sn Gent bushes, then i do believe that they are different to the JR ones, but i can't give you the dimensions ... :down:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Morning Mark there is a comprehensive list of a huge number of pen kits, drill sizes for bush sizes for measurements, several pages indeed worth having from the IAP in the States.

Kind regards Peter, good to see you around after your marathon 10,000 kms journey recently on your holidays. Unbelievable distance if you ask me certainly not for the fainthearted.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Mark,

JR Gents top bushes are approx 13.35, barrel is 12.25 (and 11.61). JR Gents II top bushes 14.35, barrel 12.15 and 12.91. The larger bushing is for the nib coupling. I never realised that the JR Gents II had different dim bushes for the ends of the barrel. So I measured the OD dims of the JR Gents bushes that I bought from TB many moons ago, and sure enough, and I never realised (I always turn the barrel proud of the bushes anyway as the pressings that form the metal rings around the plastic inserts are dimensionally crap), they are slightly different,

The jr Gents obviously take a 15/32 and a 25/64 tube, but the bushes that I have and never used (bought in error) show that the Jr Gents II uses slightly bigger tubes, ID of the top Jr Gents tubs 10.85, ID on the JR Gents II 11.65. ID on the JR Gents barrel tube 9.04, ID on the JR gents II barrel tube 9.55.

So, measure the OD of the metal ring that encircles the nib coupling on a TB JR Gents kit and the dim is 12.22, the ring on the postable end is 11.77 which supports the theory that the bushes are supposed to be different dims.

Every days a learning day, the dims for the Gents barrell are different, the TB instructions don't indicate that and I wonder if there are batches out there that are the same? Could anyone else out there with TB or other source JR Gents bushes measure the OD of the barrel bushes and post the results?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I am sure I have said this many times in the past it is all a lottery of what batch and what manufacturer you get the kits from.
They will all differ on a batch basis Neil we have been having this problem and arguments for years about tubes fitting badly, different sizes of bushes etc.
The people who only make a few pens and keep to the same supplier and more importunately keep their kits in their bags will be fine.
Its people like yourself and I was that build up a huge stock from many suppliers and use bits and pieces and keep old kits expecting today's bush to fit a 1930 kit that notice the difference and have the problems.
I rest my case Milud.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I have some Jr Gents I bushes that I will measure later. These days I use calipers to measure the couplings and keep the calipers by the lathe as I turn. Produces way better results.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).