• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Large slabs of acrylic

Jed Baxter

Registered
I have read that you can buy slabs of acrylic but in my search i am unable to find any, do they really sell it in slabs or am i being led down the garden path. :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
I am sure that these are made in China .. But not 100% sure ... :whistling:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
alibaba.com

search for acrylic pen blanks you will find manufacturers.

Beware when contacting them, they will want silly volumes, you can usually beat them down to a 1/10th of the min qty they ask for.

Also you will find that a lot of these people are agents, not the manufacturer but if the price is right does that matter ?

Also, use ones that escrow payments, that way you have some cover.

Hope that helps

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Since I shut my factory down All the small manufacturers I used to know have either closed down too or been swallowed up by the big boys.
I would always run extra quantities and most manufacturers do. My minimum order was 4 tonne so a few extra boards was no problem to shelf in case of repairs at a later date.
Sods law init it was only a couple of months ago I cleared the shelves and recycled the lot, having been closed since 2008 if anything goes wrong now its tough init.
Depending on quantities and sizes I can put you in touch with some people who might still be in the trade or have a few shelves full still.
If you want lots of the stuff here are the big boys in this country, even they purge their lines and generate scrap with some very interesting colours if they are are changing colour whilst purging.
You could give them a ring or email and ask.
I do still have several thousand metres of clear acrylic tubing in various sizes but that doesn't help with coloured slab, sorry.
Corian® Solid Surface | DuPont
The Vita Group : Home
ABOUT US « Doeflex

Jed Baxter

Registered
Thanks all, i was looking to buy a slab and cut to my own thickness and to see if it was cheaper i am not looking for big bulk i was thinking of 12 inch square. :wink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Your best bet would be to cast your own if that's all you want.
Go to the pound shop and get one of those silicone baking trays to do it in and stand it on the washing machine to vibrate the bubbles out.
But I never said that if SWMBO catches you.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi Jed,
You may want to try the old UKAP website that used to be run by a guy called Mervyn. He produces his own slabs of acrylic sheet, and I remember him offering to make them to customer requirements. The phone number he gives on the site is - 0797 0398 872.
Regards,
Bob.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I have read that you can buy slabs of acrylic but in my search i am unable to find any, do they really sell it in slabs or am i being led down the garden path. :thinks:

Jed,

You can get slabs of the widely available acrylic, most of them are made in Italy. I am away for a couple of weeks at Burghley Horse Trials and then at a craft fair in Germany, but if you pm me with your number I'll give you a call when I get back and I'll give you the low down.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).