• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Acrylic pen blank casting

allan.macleod51@gmail.com

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mac
Hi guys need a bit of advice i have just started casting my own blanks done my first 2 yesterday and today when i took them out of the pvc pipe the were very sticky and bendable like rubber am i doing something wrong or is this normal i used 6 drops of hardener to 1 oz of resin
any advice would be great thanks in advance
Allan:sob:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Hi Allan and welcome. I can't help you with your question mate as I haven't done that much casting myself. My first attempt with Alumilite went ok ish. The second attempt never got off the ground as the Alumilite had gone off and set I've it's containers.

:funny::funny::funny:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I have had this problem and all I did was to lay it on a flat surface in a warm place and then found it OK.

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
I would think you demolded too quick. Try leaving for two days or more. Does sound like it ain't gone off yet.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Hi Allan
Can't help with your query but did notice your user name is an email address and wonder if that's a good idea on an open forum. :thinks:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I know the Americans use drops per ounce, but I have never seen those instructions over here. If it is polyester resin you are using then the standard mix is 1-3 percent MEKP, I use 1%, but I do not cast it in the winter, put it back in the tube and keep it somewhere warm for a couple of days and check again.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
Cold weather really does effect the resin, i have in the past left the resin in the moulds for a week or more .. I also place them in a small toaster oven i have for around 20 mins ..

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).