• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ready For The Start of the Woodturning Season

Jim

Grand Master
My bench, i can never seem to keep it tidy while ever i am working in the shed! Here i was working on a few segmented pens that you can just make out on the table top.

workbench.jpg

After a clean up i now have wood below the bench ready to make some boxes, some of the wood is over 20 years old. The blanks on the left are only about 9 months old, all edges are dipped with wax.

boxwood.jpg

And here i have a few ready to make bowls with. So hopefully this year the warm weather will come very early ...

bowl_blanks_woodturning.jpg

And finally not forgetting my collections of pen blanks .. I have all types of wood here, from Australia, USA and Europe.

pen_blanks_wood_turning.jpg

I also have quite a few pieces of Corian and Acrylic blanks, thou the Acrylics are not in the photo .. Just need to invest this spring in a batch of pen kits ...:thumbs:

pen_blanks_woodturning.jpg

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I will put money on that 99% of these are still there this time next year. :bwink:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I know him to well mate, the 1st chance he gets he will be on a plane working abroad. :ciggrin:

Thou he loves turning his attraction of the euro or Zloty still has its power. :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
lol Tony, i am home for good mister, i an gathering items ready to start turning again.. I am starting to get excited now the warmer weather is coming. :thumbs:

May even be in there tomorrow do a little inspection of the shed to make sure that IT is actually ready for me. :goesred:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Cold snap coming Jim its just starting to freeze now in north wales. I have managed to turn a few things over xmas as I bought a new jet mini lathe and convinced the wife to let me put it in the conservatory until the builder fixes the garage roof.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Aye the weather is a coming mate, we have had a mini spring here the last few days, i managed a few hours in the workshop today (never mind what Jim says) but i never got to turn anything as i was working on making a jig for the bandsaw. :bwink:

Can you give us some feedback on your lathe mate, wouldn't mind one of these myself. :thinks:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Sure Tony. Its the jet 1014, only small but the quality is a joy to use. Its 6 speed and not variable so I have it on 1000rpm full time and that works well for pens but I have turned small bowls and candlesticks easily. I'm made up with it, its so quiet and well made. My other lathe is an axminster avs900 which is OK and does the job but the difference between the two is marked. Plus I bought the jet from axminster the week before xmas for £273 and it came with a chuck worth £70 free. Now they are selling it for £293 and no freebies so was lucky there.
What do you use Tony.

keith

Jim

Grand Master
The weather is upon us Keith, i had the heater on this morning for an hour before i went into the shed, brrrrrrr. :ciggrin:

Nice wife you have there lol, i am trying to persuade my wife to allow me a lean to on the side of the house ... :whistling: So many peeps are buying these mini lathes as second machines, just for turning pens and other small items, with that chuck you sure did get a bargain for sure ... :thumbs:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
i have a mini lathe........... love it to bits...

Cheap as chips....

it replaced a bigger one that bit the dust.. I only turn pens and stuff....

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Sure Tony. Its the jet 1014, only small but the quality is a joy to use. Its 6 speed and not variable so I have it on 1000rpm full time and that works well for pens but I have turned small bowls and candlesticks easily. I'm made up with it, its so quiet and well made. My other lathe is an axminster avs900 which is OK and does the job but the difference between the two is marked. Plus I bought the jet from axminster the week before xmas for £273 and it came with a chuck worth £70 free. Now they are selling it for £293 and no freebies so was lucky there.
What do you use Tony.

keith

At the moment i am using a Scheppach DMS1100, this was my father in laws, nothing wrong with the machine, but when the time is right i may decide to go with a mini myself as all my work at the moment is pens. :whistling:

I hope i can get a deal like you got mate. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).