• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Truing Pen Blanks

Jim

Grand Master
Using an old pen mandrel, i got a friend to turn down the front radius to square so that i could use it to true the edges of the blanks that have a 7mm tube in them. Using tacky back sandpaper on a sanding harbour held by a drill chuck at a speed between 600/800 rpm. I use this after i have used the pen mill to take off the waste material, i also use it sometimes after i have turned the item just to clear it of all the glue that may have somehow got between the blank and the bushing.

sanding_a_pen_barrel.jpg

sanding_pen_barrels.jpg

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Nice Jim, do you use pressure on the blanks or just take it up to the harbour? :thinks:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Jim I also use a mandrill but what I do is put the sand paper on the back of the brass securing nut
and after turning remove a spacer and touch up the ends of the blank flip and do the other side both with the tail stock on the mandrill.Frankie

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Jim I also use a mandrill but what I do is put the sand paper on the back of the brass securing nut
and after turning remove a spacer and touch up the ends of the blank flip and do the other side both with the tail stock on the mandrill.Frankie

Thanks mate, another good tip to take to the workshop. :ciggrin:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).