• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A bit of misc

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I didn't get much chance to get in shed today but I did make a pen for a visitor, it was one of those diamonte slimline things for a wonderful pregnant lady,
I didn't take a pic because it was a bloody plastic she chose so not worthy of a camera shot.
Anyway after my visitors left I did get to thinking that I had promised a few things and while a couple are in mind I will put them on.
I aint' sure what thread they were in so I'll stick em together in here.
First was the pen vice somebody was asking about and I gobbed off about drilling a hole in a normal vice so here it is as you can see no special pen blank squaring devices required as it holds nice and square anyway init?
Simply shut the jaws and drill a small ole

P1070754.resized.JPG

As you can see its square just by gripping it init?

P1070753.resized.JPG

Next cheap as chips jig is making flats on a round this is my jig and it works well simply a channel in a channel with a couple of cable ties and a bolt through to the banjo.
George made a super duper version after seeing this typical him anything you can do I can do better init?

P1070768.resized.JPG

I can't remember what else I promised but if you remind me I'll stick in ear.

Jim

Grand Master
I like the nice and easy vice mod ... :thumbs: A clean up is needed to see the second picture .. :eeeeek::blah1:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for sharing Brian, it`s good to show newcomers you don`t have to spend a fortune on kit to produce quality results, initiative & a little guile is priceless :up:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Grump,

Like your simple vice to hold blanks under the pillar drill, these as illustrated metal jaws fit this type of vice and provide infinite gripping possibilities because the horizontal Vee can allow you to configure or align the rough cut blank in so many ways to allow the hole to follow the best part of the blank, by that I mean so many blanks for my choice are cut on the bandsaw to follow grain or sapwood and are not regular square or rectangular there are three vees of differing sizes to use as well. I stress the importance of bolting the vice here in Australia where our burl timber and others hit the top scale in hardness and this removes deviations that can occur. This brings me then to the advantage of an X and Y axis in a vice so that many and various blanks can be drilled accurately and quickly in a session. Noting these vice jaws are sold singly for the mini budget person but I recommend two. These jaws and an X Y axis vice have been in constant use by me since the 80,s cost per use is micro and IMHO worth every cent.

As an overseas bloke perhaps one main reason I hold back is evaluating the value of giving adequate time to detail the obvious to me reasons why I do things to provide alternate ways to acheive methods of Pen Making. Our local Woodcraft Guild has the same membership as this forum. The U Beaut Forum in Australia has many many thousands of members perhaps belonging to a variety of groups what I look for in a forum is ease of use, separation of endeavor ie Pens, bowls etc our Woodcraft Guild has 30 separate special interest groups that meet on a monthly basis separately during the month. The U Beaut Forum has countless separate headings of interest this for a population of Australia total being less than one of the major cities in the UK.

Trust this Forum under Jims control I believe accepts the fact that forums mean different things to us all. Now that my health has improved somewhat I am ready and able to contribute more, I have given heaps so far and can see a direct flow now occurring.

Kind regards Peter.:thinks:

Attachments

• Grizzly Supplied Prismatic Jaw-001.jpg
    Grizzly Supplied Prismatic Jaw-001.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 64

Jim

Grand Master
Peter, you have brought here a wealth of knowledge and experience that many of us can only dream about, it is good to hear that your health has improved and that you have more to give. I know i am not the only one who looks forward to reading what you add to these forums, and i thank you for this ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).