• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Job for the day

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
My new dust extraction unit arrived at 8am this morning. It is a SIP 1hp unit model 1952. I bought it after talking to Jim as he has one so today it will be a case of making room for it and getting it up and running. Then I will look and see what extra attachments I need !:thumbs:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Terry consider the lorry air filter...as you use the new unit when you first turn it onyou will see fine dust from the top filter bag the air filter stops this.

Jim

Grand Master
How did it go Terry, i now run both my band saw and drum sander from mine, and still on he look out for a second hand one to replace my Record Power one which is used on the lathes .. :ciggrin:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
I've got it all together Jim but it is only in a temporary position as it only comes with a short pipe. I intend to make a new bench for my lathe which will be shorter than my existing one and then I can slot the unit in at the end of the new bench. I also want to put a solid pipe in to replace this short flexi pipe. I'll pop out tomorrow to have a look and see what I can get. I was thinking of using downpipe what is used with guttering if it comes in 100mm. What do you think????

Jim

Grand Master
It is 100mm Terry so using downpipe would be ok, the problem with solid pipe is that the unit becomes static!! I also had a nozzle in the end of the flexible pipe to clean up the shavings etc .. :thumbs:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
It is 100mm Terry so using downpipe would be ok, the problem with solid pipe is that the unit becomes static!! I also had a nozzle in the end of the flexible pipe to clean up the shavings etc .. :thumbs:

Do you mean static electricity??? If so all you need to do is clamp an earth wire onto the pipe and run it to an earthing point!!! I also have an nozzle on the end of the flexible pipe andI am looking into rejigging this.
BTW I forgot to say the unit runs well and is quiet!!!

Jim

Grand Master
No Terry, if you use downpipes and not flexible you won't be able to manoeuvre it around the shed is what i meant ...

Attachments

• IMG_7894.jpg
    IMG_7894.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 1

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
In my last workshop I had 4" solid plastic piping running all around my workshop with flexible pipe on the end of all the outlets with gates on them for 11 years and non of it was earthed to my understanding it is only the metal ducting that needs earthing not plastic as plastic is not a conductor but please ignore me if I'm wrong I'm just a passing plonker

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
In my last workshop I had 4" solid plastic piping running all around my workshop with flexible pipe on the end of all the outlets with gates on them for 11 years and non of it was earthed to my understanding it is only the metal ducting that needs earthing not plastic as plastic is not a conductor but please ignore me if I'm wrong I'm just a passing plonker

Woody you can build up static on plastic pipe so it is advisable to have an earth wire off it unless you like having a tingle.!!!!!! LOL:whistling:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Terry,

I had a mate forever ago and we read that static electricity can be devastating when you use plastic piping so before his shop was finished we hooked up a full length of stormwater pipe which over here is 4 inch but thinner than sewer pipe 4 inch. Hooked up the vac system and fed sawdust into the other end and on the outside of the pipe, guess what the pipe looked like it needed a shave, so we bought a roll of earth wire stranded at that time electrical cable known as 7.029 pre metric. With the wire we rolled it around the stormwater length on a diagonal wrap went through the experiment again earthing the end at the machine which is earthed through the three pin power lead and to either end of the pipe soldering the connections, voila no more peach fuzz. When I lay my own pipe in my workshop I stretched an earth wire through a hole at the machine end and out to my disk sander, lathe other lathe, drill press, Steel Router bench earthing to each machines frame using solderless Ross Courtney crimp circles made for us sparkies because a spark generated inside the bpipe by friction can ignite and cause horrible chaos.

So the moral of the story is for me better sure than sorry OK call it overkill I call it insurance I have seen workshops destroyed by static started fire guess my tech training gave me access to more horror events than you guys.

I know everyone is an expert just saying what and why I did it my way (thanks Frank Sinatra). I also have a book on using stormwater pipe that decries earthing in any way however me and my mate did it when we set up our workshops in the sixties and I have followed this ever since. I was taught to be cautious.

Have success kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).