• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Help please guy's

Pete B

Registered
Hi,

just had an enquiry regarding a large number of pens, well large for me anyway.
it involves a bit of casting that i don't do, well apart from casting a block of clear, cutting it up and using the clear blanks.

Customer wants a very small piece of for want of a better description, irregular shaped gem, not expensive though.
Then this putting on top of each pen, hopefully the barrel end instead of the normal component.

I was thinking of using something like ice cube trays, filling to about 1 third, letting it go off a bit, then placing the irregular shaped piece on top, then carefully fill the rest up with no bubbles.

Then turning to shape, fitting etc.

Is this a crap idea ?

I have not got any pressure pots etc.

Any advice appreciated.

As usual i've said yes before i know whether i can do it or not.

Regards

Pete

Jim

Grand Master
Pete, is it the sinking of the gem that concerns you? ... A pressure pot is not really needed for clearing the air bubbles, i have used water clear resin under no pressure and had no issue with bubbles ..

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Pete, the method you describe is pretty much exactly how you would make a paperweight using water clear. It should work fine, as Jim says a pressure pot is not necessary. Couple of tips:

1) Warm the resin before adding catalyst, which will reduce the viscosity and allow air bubbles to escape more easily. Standing it in a cup of water out of the kettle will do it.

2) stir carefully once you add the catalyst, trying not to introduce more air bubbles than absolutely necessary.

3). If your other half has an ultrasonic jewellery cleaner they are ace for vibrating bubbles out. Stand the mixed resin in there with some water surrounding it for a minute or so.

4) make sure no dust gets on the 'base' resin (the bit you're going to let go off before putting the gizmo on it). The next pour should create an invisible join but will show any muck which got in there.

5) pour the resin slowly and carefully, again so as to introduce as little air as possible. Use a toothpick to chase any visible bubbles out of the resin once poured.

Should be fine mate - looking forward to some pics of the process!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Stand it on the washing machine and do some washing that should give you enough vibration says the man who has never done it before and aint got a clue LOL

Pete B

Registered
Thansk Jim,john and woody,

david, thanks mate good tips there, My good did indeed have an ultrasonic cleaner, she can't find it now though!!

Rowdy, a terrible sketch is below, i am not mucg better with a pencil at a drawing.
I might be able to pursuade the customer to have it inline rather than on top.,but he wanted it on top.
Problem might be the age old one, how much,
Thanks very much

Pete
cast.jpg

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Thansk Jim,john and woody,

david, thanks mate good tips there, My good did indeed have an ultrasonic cleaner, she can't find it now though!!

Rowdy, a terrible sketch is below, i am not mucg better with a pencil at a drawing.
I might be able to pursuade the customer to have it inline rather than on top.,but he wanted it on top.
Problem might be the age old one, how much,
Thanks very much

Pete
View attachment 2612

Hi Pete

This is how I would attempt it

• Find a suitable container, dimensions that are close to what you need.
  • 1st Resin Pour to the depth required allow for clamping in the lathe. When this pour has set, place object / stone in the position required.
  • 2nd resin pour so that the level of the resin is just below the top of the object so that you can put weight on it to stop it floating while it sets
  • 3rd Resin pour to the depth required. Let this set, then cut, shape as required.

You could do multiples in a bigger mould and bandsaw around them
Keep the resin covered while it sets to keep dust away....
If you pour slowly and use a toothpick you can usually get all the bubbles
Piccy attached to help. maybe :whistling:

Hope this helps a bit:wink::wink:

jewel.jpg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).