• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Observations

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Yesterday roughing up brass I had made a holder to fit into the brass one end at a time then sandpaper across the length. Discovered (no surprises there) confirmation that in 70 brasses there were 9 that I rejected in to the bin outright that were far to tight to fit on the holder even which is a snuggish fit so I have renamed it as a go no go guage as well. In the past I have used many holders such as the ubiquatas nail punch, centre punches the taper holds in well. So what a revelation 9 oportunities to not have splits or rejection after gluing turning etc worth every extra minute or twenty two.

So getting down to basics again I tried to run the brass through all the drilled blanks about the same number 9 were too tight one end or the other to go through used a hand held battery drill 7mm bit and held those blanks in locking pliers ( lost skin on fingers too painfull long memory of this) Another revelation checking from both ends of each drilled blank gives variation.

Then gluing up one jammed brass removed with locking pliers for redrilling another time.

Further reasons to spend worthwhile time in preparation, all glued up wait now for a few days another time consuming practice.

Just my take on the basics hope it saves someone else from potential grief in the future.

Kind regards Peter.:rolling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).