• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Turning Deer Antler

Jim

Grand Master
Any tips on what I need to do to prepare or use antler? I have 2 pieces that i bought but not sure what i need to do to prepare them for turning .. The thing with these are that they are very much off-set which would make them difficult to drill ... :goesred:

Hesh

Apprentice Member
Jim, I've just stumbled across this forum and found your post. I am lucky enough to have a fair bit of antler and turned a few pens a while ago from it (unfortunately they went before I had a chance to take any photo's). I found drilling was fairly easy and tried to get the hole as close to the outside of the antler as possible as the end result had more contrast and I found the centre very porous. I used a few coats of medium CA to fill the pores and then turned the barrels with very sharp tools. The finish was exceptional going down the grits from 240-600 and then micromesh through the full range. I didnt use any finish on these apart from a coat of microcrystaline (spelling?) at the end. One thing I would say is that if the antler is fairly young as in not been off the deer for very long it stinks so be prepared for that, the older the better I have found. They lasted about ten minutes in my office before they sold so I must have done something right as they are fussy buggers normally.

Regards

Steve

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for the reply Steve, i have a few pieces of antler ready to drill, but unfortunately working commitments is holding me back, hence why i have sorted of neglected this site. Hopefully in the near future i can use your tips in making my 1st pen from deer antler. :thumbs:

Jim

Hesh

Apprentice Member
Jim,
I know how you feel with regards to work getting in the way, I dont think I've seen my workshop for a month, have had to pull out of a monthly challange on another forum for the first time this year and wont get anywhere near it until after the Olympics has finished.

good luck with the Antler because it's well worth it.

Steve

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks Steve, all i am waiting for now is some warmer weather ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).