• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lathe choice

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I have a good lathe a charnwood W821 which does what i want it to do, but if i had the money i would upgrade to a record MAXI-2 i drool every time i visit my local. It wouldnt change me gents i would still talk to you. :devil:

If you came into some money would you upgrade.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I am trying to get permission from her indoors to let me buy a Killinger KM1400SE at £2k but if I had a choice I would have a Oneway at £7K
To be honest I'll be very lucky if I ever get the Killinger!!!!!

Regards
Terry

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Vicmarc VL200 would be my dream lathe, and i guess it will be a dream as i really have no room for a lathe this size. :goesred:

Just taken a look at the Killinger KM1400SE post by rellim above, thats is also a beaut and one i wouldn't turn my nose up to. :ciggrin:

Jim

Grand Master
At the moment i am quite happy with the lathe i have, but i wouldn't mind having a play with the MAXI-2 also ... :thumbs:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Lucky ones have Vicmarcs :thumbs:

Probably most common are Chinese and Taiwanese lathes, These are painted different colours and the company badge put on it.
Woodfast, Carbatec, Timbecon, Leda all the same, there are a few Records that pop up for sale every so often.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I have a Record CL3 which I have upgraded by putting variable speed on and have built my own stand using 50mm angle iron and 300mm x 6mm plate welded and bolted and I am still not happy and would like to upgrade!!!!
Regards
Terry:down:

Jim

Grand Master
Its the same with just about every hobby Terry, you start with something at low speck or second hand, you get into the hobby deeper and deeper and the next thing is the tools we have are not what we want or believe are not up to scratch ... :whistling: Its a vicious circle, and one i bet we have all be in ... :ciggrin:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Its better staying Mr average. :whistling: I don't have to try harder at this lever and my costs don't increase. :funny:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
Its better staying Mr average. :whistling: I don't have to try harder at this lever and my costs don't increase. :funny:
I rely on my wife to keep my spending under control........:thinks:
She gives me pocket money out of my salary.....

So if I don't have it ........ I cant spend it...
I make do with what i have.........

Except with my guns............ (what I spend on them, she dont know about and wont hurt her) :devil:

You think your lathes are expensive!!....... :funny:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I know where you are coming from, a few quid here and a few quid there and before you know it you have spent well over your budget. :goesred: Guess thats ok for you mate cos out comes the gun. :ciggrin:

Old Corky

I was tickled to death when I graduated from my homemade "Po' Folks" lathe built from 2 by 4s and junk to the US equivalent of your Machine Mart Clarke CWL325V. Now, I am looking at the Penn State Turncrafter Commander 12" Variable Speed Midi Lathe $449.95
lathe2.jpg
Old Corky
Pine Island, Texas

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).