• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Seeing Dots before my eyes

jttheclockman

This is one of those pens that just about made it off the lathe before it was sold. I was finishing this one up when a friend was over and he said he wanted it so that one is history but i thought you might want to see some other things that can be done on a wood lathe. I got to take some photos before he wandered off with it.

This is a Baron kit with black acrylic and aluminum dots. The cap is all aluminum. Turned and polished. Thanks for looking and again any comments or questions always welcomed. I can do this photo showing for awhile so when everyone gets tired of me just let me know. Aluminum and black is a great combination. It screams highend, in my opinion. One of my to do projects on the table is to do this pen but stagger the dots in every other row. Thinking also about varying the size of the dots. Right now they are 1/8" Lots of possibilities. Just having some fun.

Jim

Grand Master
Looks super John, the dots looks the biz for sure .. Was the Aluminium placed into pre drilled holes rod like or some other way .. :nooidea:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Wonderful pen John :thumbs::thumbs:

Could I ask what tool/s you used when turning this?

As for posting up pens, that`s the idea of this place so please keep them coming.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I had never seen a pen with dots and I decided to try one, I used brass and wood and all was looking good until I got to almost the finished size and I started losing the brass dots. I should have tried acrylic first, but that is only with hindsight.

Peter

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
John your pens way beyond what I could ever achieve.....please keep 'em coming

jttheclockman

How do you do the dot pen looks amazing

The dots are added to the pen using an indexing wheel and a router. I use the router on a jig I made.

Looks super John, the dots looks the biz for sure .. Was the Aluminium placed into pre drilled holes rod like or some other way .. :nooidea:

The aluminum is a piece of rod cut to lengths needed. The holes for the rod was done using a router setup on my wood lathe.

Wonderful pen John :thumbs::thumbs:

Could I ask what tool/s you used when turning this?

As for posting up pens, that`s the idea of this place so please keep them coming.

The tools used to turn most of my pens that have metal in them is a carbide cutter and my ordinary skew.

I had never seen a pen with dots and I decided to try one, I used brass and wood and all was looking good until I got to almost the finished size and I started losing the brass dots. I should have tried acrylic first, but that is only with hindsight.

Peter

The loss of the brass dots was probably because you did not drill them deep enough. I also like to glue the metal in using an epoxy.

Thanks all for looking.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The loss of the brass dots was probably because you did not drill them deep enough. I also like to glue the metal in using an epoxy.

Thanks all for looking.

No the reason was there was not much thickness to the blank on the tube, when I used a different kit with more meat on the blank it was fine.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).