• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A small experiment

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
A first for me, had a 6 x 2 piece of Sycamore, turned a nice (I think) small bowl, looked at it and thought it needs something.

Got the brass powder out.

Not 100% happy with the brass, but I "think" I know what I did wrong. Advice welcome.

Acrylic lacquer finish.

SAM_2708.JPG

SAM_2710.JPG

Jim

Grand Master
Looks good to me Phill, nice shape and good finish to it to my friend ... :thumbs:

Charly Cheeky Chops

Apprentice Member
I have seen some lovely bowls among the things I have looked at here.
I think yours is as nice as any I have seen.
I look forward to the day when I get shown (hint grumps big hint):pray::pray:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That's a lovely shaped and finished bowl, what weren't you happy about with the brass?

Peter

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
That's a lovely shaped and finished bowl, what weren't you happy about with the brass?

Peter

Thanks for the kind words, the brass has some pitting for want of a better term. I guess I didn't get it right.

I filled the groove with med CA then put the brass powder on top and left it to go off. Maybe should have done second lot?

:nooidea:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Looks good to me, I've only played with brass powder on pens and it took several goes to get it nice and flat. Nice bowl though with or without the brass.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I filled the groove with med CA then put the brass powder on top and left it to go off.

Phil, I always do it the other way - fill the void with brass filings then soak it in thin CA. That way you're not relying on the brass filings to 'sink' through the rapidly hardening CA.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks for the kind words, the brass has some pitting for want of a better term. I guess I didn't get it right.

I filled the groove with med CA then put the brass powder on top and left it to go off. Maybe should have done second lot?

:nooidea:

I am a little confused, when you say brass powder do you mean something like pearl-ex powders or are you talking about real brass filings?

If it is real brass then, like David, I would load the groove with the brass and drizzle the CA onto the brass.

Peter

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Peter, it's the brass powder from Turners Rtreat.

David, thanks I thought afterwards maybe I'd done it arse about face.

Will try that method next time :up:

As with all this stuff the fun is in the learning.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Phill that is one very well formed bowl with a beautiful finish the brass in the photo looks to be as good as any I have done or seen but you say it has voids I to do it in a different way to you depending how deep your grove is mine I do quite shallow fill with the chosen powder which on sycamore I would have chosen iron, copper or halfords car body filler which will show up more then C/A glue to the metal dust then when it is dry sheer scrape and check for voids and apply more metal powder this normally takes a few attempts some shallow voids it is best to apply the CA then the metal dust till you end up with a perfect filling this part can take longer than your first filling.
Brass I find works better on the darker woods also it can be done by mixing the dust with epoxy resin Phill yours is truly a bowl to be proud of well done mate

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).