• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Yew bottle stopper

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Here is todays bottle stopper. :thumbs:
The wood i used is Yew, the top of the stopper is a piece of red plastic. This was the 2nd one that i turned, the 1st one split from top to bottom. :goesred:

Jim

Grand Master
Like the use of the plastic Tony, looks good on the Yew. Nice stopper ... :thumbs:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Do you use a purpose made screw chuck to turn these. My screw chuck is from an axminster 100mm. It is a different thread to the bottle stopper. Does it matter.

keith

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Very nice, I love yew.haha thats not how it seems but after I wrote it I thought it was really funny sorry mate lol.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Thanks for the comments guys :thumbs:

Do you use a purpose made screw chuck to turn these. My screw chuck is from an axminster 100mm. It is a different thread to the bottle stopper. Does it matter.

keith

Keith, the stoppers i have leaves the screw into the finished piece, i use a chuck from Axminster also, i take the two edged screw from the bottle stopper and place it into the chuck then screw the wood onto the other side of the screw. Then when i remove the finished piece the screw stays with it. :bwink:

Very nice, I love yew.haha thats not how it seems but after I wrote it I thought it was really funny sorry mate lol.

:iluvu: Too :frenchkiss:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Thanks for that Tony. I got my bottle stoppers from Timberbits and I'm sure its all one piece. I'll check when I get home this weekend

keith

Jim

Grand Master
The first ones i got was from T/Retreat, which also didn't fit on the Axminster chuck, i made my own throw away one Keith from a scrap piece of wood. :thumbs:

Just going back to the Axminster chuck, they sent me a replacement a few months after i bought it, saying they had altered something, i don't actually remember what, but i still use both? This was a couple of years ago now. :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).