• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How to ? Timberbits Bottle stoppers

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well having done some Axminster stoppers using the mandrel/arbour and all went well, I thought I'd get some stoppers from TB.

Now these have arrived but the threaded part is integral to the stopper and now I'm confused.

How the heck do I turn a top for them?

Any advice would be very gratefully received as I'm really stumped. :sob: :sob:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Top is the TB one, the arrowed part is an integral part of the stopper.

Bottom pic is the axminster one which being loose works with the arbour.

So how do I go about turning a top for the TB one ?

Stainless_Steel_Bottle_Stopper.jpg
600752_inset2_xl.jpg

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I have brought one of these. See picture.

Put prior to that all I used was a piece of threaded bar with a lock nut and piece of wood to use as a back plate.

Provided you put a cut in the thread lengthways then it will cut its own thread when you screw it in to the blank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 55

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
This is where I must be being really really thick, sorry.

I have the Axminster arbor, but that relies on having the "loose" threaded bar as per 2nd pic of mine above.

If I don't have that do I just turn a blank on a screw chuck ? Or is there some other method.

Sorry for being really dense

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
All I did Phil was get a spare blank to go in the chuck, drill a hole in the middle & glued a piece of dowelling into the hole the same size as the thread (think it was around 8 / 10mm), jammed the blank onto it and turned it.
I did also drew a ring around the dowelling to show the size of the bottle stopper end. When turned I threaded the bottle stopper into the blank.
Worked for me.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Think if it were me I'd just hold an off cut in my chuck, turn it down to the diameter of the stopper to give a sizing guide, drill a hole in the centre & screw in a piece of threaded bar that matches the external thread of the stopper.

Then it's just a matter of drilling & screwing a blank onto the thread & turning to size.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Apparently people over here cant get enough of these stoppers and orders so far for my pro mate have been huge I just need a fridge to keep my fruit juices but I have many real wine buff friends with special rooms to house their wine and mostly say their wine once opened is used right away. I guess the casual special occassion drinker would value the stopper besides they make a beaut conversation piece.

Enjoy yours at Xmas.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).