• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

DIY Pen Mandrel Saver

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
In case I missed someone, Wishing Happy New Year to you all...

Started off the New Year with a tool.
After watching the last thread on Mandrel Savers. I thought I would have a bash at one.
I had a couple pieces of white delrin and an old 2Mt Revolving Center with good bearings. I got out my small watchmakers lathe and after a hour or so I made this. Haven't put any fancy finishes on it and dont intend to as its a tool for my garage.

Had a trial run and its the biz, runs nice and true and is so much faster then using the little knurled nut on the mandrel.

Some photos
mandrel saver front.jpg

mandrel saver side.jpg

mandrel saver top.jpg

Thoughts:thinks:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
That looks really interesting Rowdy, a great job - which watchmakers lathe do you have? - Mine's a little Cowells 90ME.

I've given in and ordered a mandrell saver after looking today to see if I could make one. I found a couple of old revolving centres, MT1 though I do have a sleeve to convert to MT2, however they are both solid centres and I would need to drill right down the length of the MT to use the mandrel so it didn't seem worth the effort. I have a bit of nylon, some tufnol and brass so a bit disappointed really as it would have been a nice little project.

cheers
Bob

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
That looks really interesting Rowdy, a great job - which watchmakers lathe do you have? - Mine's a little Cowells 90ME.

I've given in and ordered a mandrell saver after looking today to see if I could make one. I found a couple of old revolving centres, MT1 though I do have a sleeve to convert to MT2, however they are both solid centres and I would need to drill right down the length of the MT to use the mandrel so it didn't seem worth the effort. I have a bit of nylon, some tufnol and brass so a bit disappointed really as it would have been a nice little project.

cheers
Bob

Next time I am in the garage I will take some pictures of the watchmakers lathe. If I remember ....:oldman:

Jim

Grand Master
Well done Rowdy, it is good to see home made objects, especially the ones we use regular .. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That looks every bit what is needed in a mandrel saver and how much better it is to have made your own. Well done Rowdy. :thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Look's a first class job matey ...... I want to see your little lathe too.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Ordered my mandrel saver and it should have been here last post before Xmas but still hasn't showed. Aaarrrghhhhh.

Neil did you order from the Turners Workshop as I think my daughter got the last one from there and according to their website they still out of stock

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
My little Metal Work Lathe

At last the :oldman: as promised got together a couple of photos of my 'ol Little Green Thingy'

Notice the bodge up variable speed regulator, works but need to do some more work on it.'Later'

metal lathe1.jpg

The other wire connections are stored under the screwed down Black/Decker Drill stand.

metal lathe2.jpg

The Brass Manuf' Plate.

metal lathe3.jpg

Not a bad toy for all those little experiments one knocks up like a 'Mandrel Saver'

Thoughts..

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).