• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Another way to press pens?

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Just spotted this on ebay and looks not to difficult to make the entire unit inc. MT in hardwood with maybe rubber pads perhaps. They're £25 so seems worth the effort.

My appologies if it's old hat stuff.

Bob

Attachments

• $T2eC16F,!zEE9s3!(IipBQOdcEOT0g~~60_12.jpg
    $T2eC16F,!zEE9s3!(IipBQOdcEOT0g~~60_12.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 118

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Just spotted this on ebay and looks not to difficult to make the entire unit inc. MT in hardwood with maybe rubber pads perhaps. They're £25 so seems worth the effort.

My appologies if it's old hat stuff.

Bob

Ha ha, you'll get to the ultimate pen press soon :funny:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Lons, Get out you little metal lathe step a shaft of metal make a buffer of the materials you said a tight fit or glue and use your drill press as in love a simple rose works just as well every time. For so many years a modified 1 Ton bearing press adjacent to the lathe suits me best I will look for a pic.:thinks:

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• Test Photos with Digital Camera 032-001.jpg
    Test Photos with Digital Camera 032-001.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 111

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Lons, Get out you little metal lathe step a shaft of metal make a buffer of the materials you said a tight fit or glue and use your drill press as in love a simple rose works just as well every time. For so many years a modified 1 Ton bearing press adjacent to the lathe suits me best I will look for a pic.:thinks:

Kind regards Peter.

:duh: You mean like this Peter?

I never thought of that - forgot I had it TBH. It was gifted to me a few years ago and only used it a couple of times. It's a No. 0 model whatever that means:nooidea:

I'd be interested in your modifications and Paul is right, I'll have more presses than I know what to do with.:goesred:

Bob

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 112

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I use the same thing mine is a No 1 had one for years got mine from Axminster

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Bob, I did exactly what you suggested in the opening post - turned a couple of tapers in hardwood and I press on my lathe. The first set I made cracked quickly because the pen parts were pressing on the end grain, so with the next set I faced the pads with face grain sycamore. Been using them for ages and they work like a dream. Pics anon.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi Lons, I took that 4 way piece away from the anvil section drilled though the side twice fitted a solid aluminium piece in the anvil part drilled two holes through the new holes and bolted the aluminium in place. My one was out of square so i removed and reversed the arm which made it square, I was unhappy with the cross arm it was sloppy so I inserted a brass sleeve bearing to fix that. Using thin sheet corian glued a fitting shaped piece to the down press part and also on the anvil aluminium piece to protect the pressed ends of the kit.

In my one the adjustment screws in the front of the vertical arm were dummy ones cast in to look right so I faced them off, drilled and tapped two holes front and side fitting suitable screws and locknuts to make the action smooth and right IMHO.

I see yours has these screws they are used to firm up the moving parts.

Okay much ado and very anal however I end up almost remaking some stuff I buy just because I feel much better when I use them.

Try to get the maximum distance you can in modifying the anvil to vertical clearances you need it with this sized press.

Later on I picked up an aluminium vice made in Switzerland I use for longer throw movement called a Zylis if you look in my past posts you will find a pic of that most handy vice there. I use that for loger movement needs.

The bearing presses are quite basic but around here sell for around a hundred of our pesos (sorry dollars ) the press is sold these days made in Where else China and sold at shows only for heaps of money but over here turn up at garage sales etc quite cheap because they were sold well but the buyers never bothered after that.

Trust my guide to my best use does not confuse however all you need is something for a base anvil to receive the part as you press the top, tip, winding mechanism with protection between the metal pressing parts I chose thin Corian it used to come in dynamite priced 8 ft by 4 ft sheets but any firm that sells Corian should have heaps of scraps.

Mostly I dont go into so much detail over the years people find it boring for me its easier to do than say.

Have fun making:thumbs: or fixing I do.

Kind regards Peter.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I turned some plastic ones years ago for the same purpose, don't use them anymore sure I could find them if I looked..
Same as David mount direct into taper at each end.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
I made some the same as David and Brian.
Using hardwood for the Taper and a piece of Delrin on each, works a treat and cheap as chips...:winking:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Here's a pic of my highly technical and extremely advanced pen press bits:

View attachment 3715

:funny::funny:

They work a treat, though!

Don't believe it !! I got a set just like that.... they are now retired since a few of us got those presses off fleabay a few months back, one of the best £10 or so I ever spent on pen making equipment:banana::banana:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).