• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Glue guns ?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Wondering about this, if I need to use the glue chuck method, eg gluing my blank to some scrap then chucking it. (Prob all the wrong terms but I'm sure you'll know what I mean)

Do I need anything special for the glue gun / sticks or will a cheapy from machine mart do ? Bearing in mind this will be a relatively rare occurrence I think. But I may need to do something like this with a particular piece of wood very soon.

Like this thing ? Mini Glue Gun (230V) - Machine Mart

Thoughts / opinions welcomed.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
They are a get-out-of-jail-free idea sometimes - but wear a face shield as I've had these fly off the lathe sometimes, Phill!

Bob.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
They are a get-out-of-jail-free idea sometimes - but wear a face shield as I've had these fly off the lathe sometimes, Phill!

Bob.
Good thought, I've not given many pieces of wood flying lessons yet, but I'm sure as I do more bowls and stuff it's bound happen :bwink:

I think I might grab one of those little ones then, no point in wasting money :funny:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have a big industrial glue gun and a large box of carpet glue sticks. DO NOT USE THESE. They are bloody dangerous in this application.
The one you show is the correct one for what you want to do and use the multi purpose sticks.
You may well find different sticks for different applications be very careful in Craft shops.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
I've used hot glue guns quite a lot over the last couple of years and have yet to have a piece come free / flying off the lathe, usually quite a safe procedure.
Suppose it depends on the size of the blank & how much glue used.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I have a big industrial glue gun and a large box of carpet glue sticks. DO NOT USE THESE. They are bloody dangerous in this application.
The one you show is the correct one for what you want to do and use the multi purpose sticks.
You may well find different sticks for different applications be very careful in Craft shops.

Good to know ! Thanks for the heads up, I would have assumed the sticks were all pretty much the same, obviously not.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I've used hot glue guns quite a lot over the last couple of years and have yet to have a piece come free / flying off the lathe, usually quite a safe procedure.
Suppose it depends on the size of the blank & how much glue used.

Mine will only be small bits as the lathe won't handle much above 8 inches although it's rated to 12.

I wouldn't fancy putting 12" in the chuck on it let alone glued to a bit of scrap.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Good to know ! Thanks for the heads up, I would have assumed the sticks were all pretty much the same, obviously not.

They are if you go to cheap shops etc but some do specialize be careful in those that do.
Just a word to the wise the carpet sticks are to soft and will give under strain.
start them spinning and they soon go off center then will go flying.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I just use the cheap glue sticks, I have a face plate screwed to a 14" piece of MDF which I glue the the blank to, I just put a thick bead around the edge of the blank & onto the MDF, this makes removal easier.

I even do my off centre work this way, this burr is 11" across & 3 1/2" high & held on fine

photo_zps2848c0c5.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
There is always good quality double sided tape howevr bringing up the tailstock with a sacrificial piece is good insurance. Overall for the small losses in material Im with Woody nowt wrong with the security of screws.

Peter

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I'm thinking I may need to glue chuck some of that Horse Chestnut, or maybe I'm thinking it wrong ?

It depends on what your ideas are Phill, there's always more than one way to skin a cat, the main thing is to feel safe with what you are doing.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Nowt wrong with any method as long as it holds.
Big problems when it don't, I have the scare to prove it.
Funny how once again we go off topic init?

Do I need anything special for the glue gun / sticks or will a cheapy from machine mart do ?
Yes the cheapy one will do usually.

Jim

Grand Master
I saw this method used in a video i watched Phill, i thought at the time what a good idea it was .. So you are on the right track at least .. :bwink:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I'd get the SWMBO to test it first.

More useful advice found in this thread, thanks all.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).