• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Jarrah sleeper

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Had this bit of old railway sleeper knocking about for months, a mate gave it me & I was going to cut it up for pen blanks as it had so many splits in it.

photo1_zpsba7e554f.jpg

Whilst I was turning I thought I`d take a couple of photos as I know Phill had asked about hot glue for mounting.
This is me ready to start turning with a bead of glue all the way round the edge of the blank & the tailstock bought up to start with just to be on the safe side.

The base board is just a piece of 26mm MDF screwed to a face plate.

tailstock removed & the bowl turned.

photo5_zps0f3f5c80.jpg

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I wouldn't have even thought of turning it, it would have gone straight onto the fire (If I had one). Well done Doug, a great job there. Don't even think about the number of trains that have gone over it dumping whatever the passengers do as you're eating your peanuts out of it... :funny::funny:

lignaterrae

Super job! I love jarrah, the colour is so wonderfully rich and the contrast with the rough exterior is so eye-catching. Don't let anybody use it as a fag-ash tray!

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Thanks for showing Doug. I have 2 Jarrah sleepers each about a metre in length in my garage that I have had for about 5 years. I used to have 3 but I gave one to Jimjam.
I never thought that it was possible to get such a good finish on it.!!!!!:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Wow that bit of Jarrah is a long way from home in Western Australia maybe or grown overseas. Our daughter south of Perths A frame house is fully framed with Jarrah and as is Olive in Greece burnt in many homes. The colour can vary from light pink to deepest red.

Western Australia is home to some incredibly beautiful timber like all timbers grain and character is never guaranteed finding these pieces a quest.

Peter.:thumbs:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Wow that bit of Jarrah is a long way from home in Western Australia maybe or grown overseas. Our daughter south of Perths A frame house is fully framed with Jarrah and as is Olive in Greece burnt in many homes. The colour can vary from light pink to deepest red.

Western Australia is home to some incredibly beautiful timber like all timbers grain and character is never guaranteed finding these pieces a quest.

Peter.:thumbs:

Peter,

You've also got some class one firewood! Bought some Supplejack yesterday, it's got to be king of the bland woods, but the rippled Tuart is beautiful as I've stained it with orange dye. jarrah sleepers might be far from home but a lot of our railways are laid on jarrah, a combination of a durable timber with strength.

Doug,

That bowl is beautiful, as has been said the colour and texture contrast is lovely.

Jim

Grand Master
Wow, that looks soooo red Doug, very nice indeed .. :thumbs: I have two pieces of railway sleepers given to me from an old retired turner a few years ago .. I think now is the time to take a look at what hides behind its crust. :ciggrin:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Great piece Doug...you just wouldn't credit what beauty is hidden inside a lump of railway sleeper.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for all the comments :thumbs:

I've been really pleased with this & on the plus side I think I know where there is some more, so now I know how beautiful the colour of this is I am hoping to pick some more up :thinks:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Wow Doug, thats a cracker mate, the colour that was hidden is amazing. Well done buddy....:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
My son promise me 3 old sleepers from his back garden, now I am interested......

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Interesting to me Mark who lives in Tennant Creek and I talk continually on Skype and yesterday he told me all sleepers out in the desert are concrete the white ants have saddles on their backs they are so voracious.

Peter.:rolling:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Interesting to me Mark who lives in Tennant Creek and I talk continually on Skype and yesterday he told me all sleepers out in the desert are concrete the white ants have saddles on their backs they are so voracious.

Peter.:rolling:
Peter,

Please pass Mark our regards.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Peter,

Please pass Mark our regards.

Will do he does a lot of travelling has done excessive numbers of kms for months now equivalent to thirty countries in Europe no doubt, I put it down to youth and following your passions his living in such a remote desert country, geographically somewhere in nowhere.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).