• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

eucalyptus wood

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Has anyone turned this before i'm getting a load well three 4' x 5" logs soon just thought I'd ask thanks Frankie.

Jim

Grand Master
As bellringer says, it can be a little porous, but it also gives you a nice finish, when freshly cut the smell is very powerful, but nice ... :bwink:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
What do you plan on making with it mate? I have never turned this wood either and was surprised to hear that the smell is strong! :thinks:

ColWA

Apprentice Member
There are over 700 different species of Eucalyptus, so unless you know the species nobody can answer this question.
Admittedly many will not grow in UK so that cuts the number down quite a bit.
If the timber is sealed as soon as it is cut it should not split. but then again some species will split whatever you do. If you remove the pith will also help prevent splitting.

HTH

Col

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
You can speed up the drying of pen blanks by putting the freshly cut wet blanks into the freezer overnight. The water in the wood freezes, breaking down the cell structure a bit and allows the wood to dry faster. I also use a dehydrator to speed dry blanks, but they can warp when you do that.:thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).