• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A Complex CNC cut Fruit Bowl

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Not strictly turned, I know, but a couple of folks wanted to see what the CNC can do. The trick with CNC cut stuff is to visualise it in 3D, then 'map' it onto 2D cutting surfaces. Also, just because you can cut it doesn't mean you can build it! This bowl is a maze of blind mortices to hoild all the pieces together. The computer time was significant, prbably more than half of the total build. However, if you're going to make more than one you can amortise that time over the total run - design once, cut many times.

Fruit Bowl 130316 004.jpg

Fruit Bowl 130316 005.jpg

Fruit Bowl 130316 008.jpg

Fruit Bowl 130316 009.jpg

Fruit Bowl 130316 011.jpg

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
nice work.... quite a large investment to make though..
What modelling software do you use? CAD/CAM converter?

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Matty, I use Inkscape for modelling, it's free and outputs DXF files. Then I use CAMBAM to map the model into CAD and output G-code. CAMBAM costs £93, but you only have to license it after 40 uses. Two years in I'm only on 20! Finally, I use Mach3 to drive the CNC machine. Costs about £100.

Jim

Grand Master
I can see that there is some work in this David, not for me thou as i am unable to do intricate pieces such as this my friend .. I would be proud to have this piece sat in the middle of my table for sure. And I also can see a pen stand in this .. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).